Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Sort month/date/year data using month and date only

  1. #1
    SMW820
    Guest

    Sort month/date/year data using month and date only

    Hi,

    I am attempting to sort a list of companies that are formatted in our
    database system by month/date/year (mm/dd/yyyy). I want them to sort by
    month and date only, however Excel 2000 recognizes the year as a criteria.

    How do I get the program to ignore the year information for these 4,000+
    entries?

    Thanks so much.
    SMW820

  2. #2
    Daniel CHEN
    Guest

    Re: Sort month/date/year data using month and date only

    An indirect way:
    Insert two extra columns - one for month using MONTH function and another
    for day using DAY function.
    Then sort by month and day.

    --
    Best regards,
    ---
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Sort month/date/year data using month and date only

    Hi,

    you could use an auxiliar column with =month(a1)&day(a1) copy it down and
    sort by this column

    HTH
    Regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  4. #4
    SMW820
    Guest

    Re: Sort month/date/year data using month and date only

    Hi Daniel:

    Thank you for your solution. At first I did not understand. After reading
    the second response from Marcelo, I got it! And it worked!

    Thanks again.
    SMW820

  5. #5
    SMW820
    Guest

    RE: Sort month/date/year data using month and date only

    Hi Marcelo:

    Thank you for your response. I had received another similar solution prior
    to yours, and did not understand. I gained clarity after reading your
    answer. And it worked!

    Thanks so much.
    SMW820

  6. #6
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo
    Hi,

    you could use an auxiliar column with =month(a1)&day(a1) copy it down and
    sort by this column

    HTH
    Regards from Brazil
    Marcelo
    I think you'd have a problem with this approach. 11th January and 1st november would both become 111.

    For a one column approach try

    =DATE(0,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))

  7. #7
    SMW820
    Guest

    Re: Sort month/date/year data using month and date only

    Hi "daddylonglegs",

    Yes, I can see where this might become an issue and luckily I did not have
    any of these dates in the system. However, I will also keep this version of
    the recommended solutions on hand for future reference.

    Thanks very much for your help.
    SMW820

  8. #8
    Udny, Scotland
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Sort month/date/year data using month and date only

    I also realised I would need to do this. Fortunately I realised in time to set up a separate column for the year and another for the month and day. If I hadn't done this originally I suppose I would have done something like converting the date to a string and splitting it into the separate fields and and then sorting by the separate parts of the date. It would actually be simpler to split the date into the 3 component parts each in its own field.

    Hope this helps or has someone found a better way?

  9. #9
    Western Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    Re: Sort month/date/year data using month and date only

    Hi, it's been a while since I worked, and am rusty, our membership list has birthdays including year, all in one column, (I inherited it as it was and want to leave it easy if I can). I too would like to sort on Month and then Day, ignoring the year. But keep the year shown with birthday as it is relevant, I don't recall how to do what the top answers are doing. Is the one with the formula, the way I must format the column? I am confused. Sorry

Closed Thread