Excel data consolidation question

  1. #1

    Excel data consolidation question

    I had a question -- I have a series of lists of users based on a userid

    text string and their name, some of which are duplicates. What i've
    done is import the lists into excel and then do a sort by userid.
    Additionally, I made a note of which database they're each in, using a
    different column for each of the four databases. I first copied all of
    the entries from "users1" and then copied "users1" into every row as
    column C. Next, I copied the "users2" list and for those, put "user2"
    in column D...and so on up to users4.

    Now, what I want to do is consolidate the entries, making sure there is

    only ONE entry PER userid, but say if a user is in "user2" and "user3"
    and thus has those entries in column D and E respectively, I want to
    note both. Basically, I just want one row per userid and for each
    userid, that row should include all "user(x)" column entries that they
    exist in. Any ideas? I could also use access if that would be easier to

    do this.

    If it helps, I'm eventually going to compile all of these spreadsheets
    (which are seperated by computer application they have access to...and
    each of these "user(x)" subentries are different authentication
    databases within that program)...and attempt to spit out a master list
    that has one row per userid with all of the programs they have access
    to (we wouldn't need to worry about the 'user(x)' subentries at that
    point though, just if they exist in ANY of them).

    Thanks much in advance or let me know if something isn't clear...

    -Drew

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    [email protected] wrote...
    >I had a question -- I have a series of lists of users based on a userid
    >text string and their name, some of which are duplicates. What i've
    >done is import the lists into excel and then do a sort by userid.
    >Additionally, I made a note of which database they're each in, using a
    >different column for each of the four databases. I first copied all of
    >the entries from "users1" and then copied "users1" into every row as
    >column C. Next, I copied the "users2" list and for those, put "user2"
    >in column D...and so on up to users4.
    >
    >Now, what I want to do is consolidate the entries, making sure there is
    >only ONE entry PER userid, but say if a user is in "user2" and "user3"
    >and thus has those entries in column D and E respectively, I want to
    >note both. Basically, I just want one row per userid and for each
    >userid, that row should include all "user(x)" column entries that they
    >exist in. Any ideas? I could also use access if that would be easier to
    >do this.

    So each list contains just user ID (UID) and name (UNAME) fields? And
    the consolidated table's col C through F would also contain the UID?

    You need to start with a master list of all UIDs, which means it'd be
    easier to add a 3rd column to each table for the list ID (LID), so
    user1 would have LID 1, user2 LID 2, etc. Then append the augmented
    lists into a single long list with 3 columns. I'll call it SLL. Sort it
    in ascending order first by UID then LID.

    At that point you could use Advanced Filters to extract only one
    instance of each UID and UNAME in SLL. Then you could add formulas to
    the columns to the right of the distinct UID and UNAME to indicate the
    UIDs' presence in each of the original lists. If the topmost UID and
    UNAME were in X2:Y2, try the formulas

    AD2:
    =MATCH(X2,INDEX(SLL,0,1),0)

    AE2:
    =COUNTIF(INDEX(SLL,AD2,1):INDEX(SLL,AD2+3,1),X2)-1

    Z2:
    =IF(COUNTIF(INDEX(SLL,AD2,3):INDEX(SLL,AD2+AE2),COLUMNS($Z2:Z2)),X2,"")

    Fill Z2 right into AA2:AC2, then select Z2:AE2 and either double click
    on the fill handle or fill down into the same rows as the UIDs and
    UNAMEs in cols X and Y.

    If you could live with 1s or 0s indicating whether or not a particular
    UID appears in a given table, you could use SLL to generate a pivot
    table with UID and UNAME as the row variables and LID as the column
    variable with operation COUNT.

  3. #3
    atomiks
    Guest

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    Yes, each list contains the UID and UNAME fields, in addition to a few
    others but they aren't important for this process. Column C through F
    on the consolidated table just note that UID/UNAME exists on the
    respective source (Column C being user_ss4 and Column D being
    EA_list_7, for example). It can really be anything. What I've been
    doing is pasting each of the lists, leaving a space or two between each
    list. The first list of UID/UNAMEs I'd put "user_ss4" in column C, then
    for the next list i'd put "EA_list_7" in column D, etc...just so if I
    eventually pulled them all together, there wouldn't be more than one
    item in each column. I'll try out your suggestions now, just thought
    I'd note this.

    Otherwise, if Access would work better, I have no aversion to using it
    at all.

  4. #4

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    Harlan;

    So you're going to do this

    =COUNT(1/(ABS(YEAR(DateEntry)-1960)<=60))

    For each of a trillion different cells.

    And then you'll open up each spreadsheet by hand and if it has a 1 in
    there; then you'll know that you've got to change this value by hand?

    Are you kidding me??

    Re:
    > Really? Where's the url to download it so anyone can see whether this
    > claim is BS or not?

    it's just functionality that is built into Access.

    File, SendTo

    if worst comes to worse; you can save your form as a Data Access Page
    and then email it around.

    I've built quite a few complex 'Excel Replacement' solutions using this
    type of technology.

    but it looks just like a webpage; it is a simple webpage.
    it uses these components called 'office web components'

    When I say 'components' think of something similiar to Adobe Acrobat
    Reader; or Flash.. all it consists of is a 'Object Tag' in HTML.

    and these components are what make Excel completely and utterly
    OBSOLETE.

    you know when you save a spreadsheet as HTML and 'add interactivity'?
    that is what I am talking about.

    It isn't a piece of Excel-- these are primarily components that are
    best created using Microsoft Access (or something like dreamweaver for
    example).

    those are the components that I'm referring to. I use those ALL DAY
    LONG; EVERY DAY.
    and they provide things like:

    a) drilldown - the ability to have a drilldown effect in a pivotTable
    b) displaying a field; but keep it collapsed-- so that drilldown is
    easy
    c) the ability to create custom fields INSIDE the pivotTable (you have
    to create custom formulas OUTSIDE of a pivotTable)
    d) the ability to have 250,000 rows in a 'spreadsheet'

    Here is a basic page to help you to get your feet wet with Access
    http://www.bcschools.net/staff/AccessHelp.htm

    Here is a starter page that describes some funcitonality that is found
    within Data Access Pages

    Information about emailing Data Access Pages

    you don't need 'Access' on your machine in order to fill out these
    forms. All you need is a valid office license (2002 or 2003) and then
    one of these products:

    a) Access
    b) Excel
    c) Word
    d) Outlook

    I think that any of those 4 products counts as a license to use Office
    Web Components.

    -Aaron

  5. #5

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    Harlan

    and for the record? the thing that makes this SECURE?

    it's called 'windows authentication'

    you can use SQL authenticaiton if you would prefer; you can even encrpt
    the HTML so that it isn't readable in plain-text.

    it does allow for offline-usage.. that would require something on the
    clientside to push the XML buffer back to the server.

    -Aaron

  6. #6
    atomiks
    Guest

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    Aaron -- can you tell me how I was trying to do in access? You appear
    to actually know what you're doing, and if it's so easy and you're so
    proficient, i'm actually interested in seeing how you'd do this.

  7. #7
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    Aaron

    Three things about OWC

    1) They are ActiveX and now blocked by default in WinXP SP2
    2) They are deprecated in O12
    3) Any web presentation is better hosted on the server (asp, asp.net, php,
    etc) and presented in some of the new controls which implement XHTML, etc
    which give rich user views, with no security warnings and server security,
    without *any* need for client installed controls

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    Nick;

    you are such a ******* liar.
    they're not blocked in XP SP2.

    they're not depecrated in Office 12. Office 12 hasn't shipped yet
    fucktard so go screw yourself.

    'any web presentation is better hosted on the server'

    oh i'm so glad that you are the SINGLE person that has EVERY POSSIBLE
    understanding of how it's soooooo inefficient to run things on the
    clientside.

    I mean; if everything should run on the serverside; why is google and
    yahoo and microsoft making powerful clientside AJAX applications?

    OWC are the same thing as AJAX for all practical reasons.... a richer
    client experience.
    there isn't an interface in the world; anywhere-- that can compete with
    OWC pivotTables for price, performance, portability and did i mention
    PRICE?

    your simple server-side pages are for losers.

    Aren't you tired of posting back to the webserver a dozen times on
    every page?

    I personally hate how when you're typing something in windows live
    mail; it's talking to the server and trying to auto-complete the name
    of the contact that you're typing.

    it's like the worst; slowest design EVER.

    yeah.. 'everything should run on the server side'

    kids.. ****

    so uh.. where are flash add-ins going to run then; kid??

    -Aaron

  9. #9

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    and for the record; it ISN"T a client installed control-- since it
    comes with OFFICE FUCKTARD

    and even if someone didn't have it installed; it's easy to prompt
    people-- a single line of plain HTML says 'click here to install' or
    the path to the CAB files on your webserver; it's pretty much
    self-installing

    -Aaron

  10. #10

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    1) open MS Access and create a new application / database with a mdb
    extension if you're a newbie
    2) Tools, Options, 'Pages' set up a UNC path (to a server share; or
    mapped network drive or something) for the 'default connection file'
    3) right-click import your spreadsheet data into Access.
    4) fix some of the field names; etc to not have spaces; etc
    5) select the table on which you want people to enter data
    6) make a view that filters WHERE USER = SUSER_SNAME()
    7) select the view (oir query) in the database window
    8) go INSERT, PAGE and fill out the data access page wizard. Yes, Add,
    Next, next, Add, Yes; etc
    9) hit file, save in order to Save the DAP to the Access file that
    you're working with.
    10) it will also prompt you where to save the plain HTML file.
    11) save it to a UNC path or to your C drive or something
    12) right click in Windows and go 'Send-To (mail-recipient)'

    rinse and repeat.

    -Aaron

  11. #11
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    Aaron

    For so long as your route to make your point is personal abuse to an
    unsatisfactory level, I'll withdraw, not because your aggression intimidates
    me, but because my intelligence and care for others stops me from going to
    your level and I think everyone now see's the 'cut of your cloth'.

    Suffice to say, you will notice that Office 12 will not ship with
    OWC...fact, ActiveX controls will 'at best' fire the warning bar at the top
    in IE. The comment on server side and client side controls ends up a little
    like our ongoing 'discussions' on Excel/Access, each has there use and the
    'cross-over' may be a little grey.

    As I said....from my standpoint, whatever your reply on this....End!

  12. #12

    Re: Excel data consolidation question

    Nick;

    I just disagree with you trying to spread lies

    OWC isn't 'going away' it will be supported; according to what MS has
    told us-- until 2011-2013.

    That is 'long enough' for most projects.

    I dont know what Office 2007 will hold. I don't really care.

    All I know is that there ISN"T a better option today for displaying and
    editing data.

    PivotTables; Spreadsheet and Data Access Pages-- .NET can .NET compete
    with this stack.

    -Aaron

  13. #13
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    Aaron is like the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz....."pay no attention to what's behind the curtain......!" He hides behind his curtain of not-thought-out rantings and spouts gibberish. He obviously has no idea of what he's talking about.... ever notice how he gives meaningless responses and then expects a person to accept his drivel?? How about his mumblings if you disagree with him, not to mention the names he insults people with.

    Wonder if Microsoft had a party when he "left?"