How to define a "from this row to the bottom of the spreadsheet"range?

  1. #1
    Ney André de Mello Zunino
    Guest

    How to define a "from this row to the bottom of the spreadsheet"range?

    Hello.

    In a spreadsheet, I have a formula which refers to the values of a
    column ('C', for instance). The first line of that column is a title, so
    I currently use a range that begins with 'C2'. There is no total at the
    bottom of the column. All cells that follow the last value are blank.

    The problem is that the number of values on that column grows
    periodically. As of now, I am using an arbitrary high value to make up
    the range in the formula, e.g. 'C2:C1000'. The question is: how can I
    specify that range without using a magic number? In other words, how
    does one define a range that means: from this row to the bottommost row.

    Thank you,

    --
    Ney André de Mello Zunino

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to define a "from this row to the bottom of the spreadsheet" range?

    Perhaps a Dynamic Range would suit your purposes.

    It expands and contracts with the change of entries.

    See Debra Dalgleish's site for instruction on creating Dynamic Ranges and naming
    them

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How to define a "from this row to the bottom of the spreadsheet" range?

    Ney Andr=E9 de Mello Zunino wrote...
    ..=2E.
    >specify that range without using a magic number? In other words, how
    >does one define a range that means: from this row to the bottommost row.

    ..=2E.

    You could define a name like C.HD ([col] C here down) referring to the
    formula

    =3DINDEX($C:$C,N(ROW())):INDEX($C:$C,ROWS($C:$C))

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How to define a "from this row to the bottom of the spreadsheet" range?

    Harlan Grove wrote...
    >=INDEX($C:$C,N(ROW())):INDEX($C:$C,ROWS($C:$C))

    The N call was unnecessary. Simplify it to

    =INDEX($C:$C,ROW()):INDEX($C:$C,ROWS($C:$C))