Converting time value to something I can calculate

  1. #1
    ChuckW
    Guest

    Converting time value to something I can calculate

    Hi,

    I have a spreadsheet with a field named Duration. It has values in it in
    the following format 0:01:21 which is one minute 21 seconds and 01:14:03
    which is one hour, 14 minutes and three seconds. What I want to do is the
    convert this into something I can calculate. I have thousands of records and
    I want to sum these in pivot tables and get averages, total time etc. Can
    someone help?

    Thanks,

    --
    Chuck W

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Converting time value to something I can calculate

    You can use those directly, as time is just stored as a decimal number
    within Excel.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: Converting time value to something I can calculate

    Nel post news:[email protected]
    *ChuckW* ha scritto:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a spreadsheet with a field named Duration. It has values in
    > it in the following format 0:01:21 which is one minute 21 seconds
    > and 01:14:03 which is one hour, 14 minutes and three seconds. What I
    > want to do is the convert this into something I can calculate. I
    > have thousands of records and I want to sum these in pivot tables and
    > get averages, total time etc. Can someone help?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Hi Chuck

    You can use time in calculation, but you have to format the cell in which
    you input the formula... Menu Format, Cells, select the tab Number, under
    Category choose Custom and the type: [h]:mm:ss. Then click OK.

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menues, option and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Converting time value to something I can calculate

    "ChuckW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a spreadsheet with a field named Duration. It has values in it in
    > the following format 0:01:21 which is one minute 21 seconds and 01:14:03
    > which is one hour, 14 minutes and three seconds. What I want to do is the
    > convert this into something I can calculate. I have thousands of records
    > and
    > I want to sum these in pivot tables and get averages, total time etc. Can
    > someone help?

    If those aren't text but are in Excel's usual time code, then you can
    calculate with those times. As they stand they're in fractions of a day,
    but of course if you want to turn them to hours you can multiply by 24, or
    to minutes with a further multiply by 60. At that stage you can format as
    number or general.
    --
    David Biddulph