converging tabs

  1. #1
    Andrianna
    Guest

    converging tabs

    I have one column of numbers on a spreadsheet with about 10 different
    tabs. I would like all of the columns to sit next to eachother on one
    tab.

    Thanks for your help!
    Andrianna

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: converging tabs

    "Andrianna" wrote:
    > I have one column of numbers on a spreadsheet with about 10 different
    > tabs. I would like all of the columns to sit next to each other on one
    > tab.

    Assuming data is all within say A1:A10 in each of the 10 source sheets

    Enter the 10 source sheetnames into B1:K1
    (Sheetname entry order is immaterial, your design/placement choice)

    Then put in B2:
    =OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!A1"),INT((ROW(A1)-1)/10)+MOD(ROW(A1)-1,10),)
    Copy B2 to K2, fill down to K11 to populate the table

    The above will return the required results, ie extract what's within A1:A10
    from each source sheet and place it under the sheetname col header

    Ensure that the sheetnames entered into B1:K1 match exactly (except for
    case) with what's on the tabs, otherwise we'd get #REF!. Watch out for
    inconsistencies: typos, extra white spaces, etc.

    Empty source cells if any, will be returned as zeros.
    For a neater look, we can suppress the display of extraneous zeros in the
    sheet via clicking: Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK

    Adapt to suit: change the "10" within the INT(..) and MOD(..) to a number
    corresponding to the number of cells within the source range, then copy the
    formula down accordingly by that number of rows ..
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: converging tabs

    Oops, correction to the formula ..

    > .. in B2:
    > =OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!A1"),INT((ROW(A1)-1)/10)+MOD(ROW(A1)-1,10),)

    Put in B2:
    =OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&B$1&"'!A1"),MOD(ROW(A1)-1,10),)

    (the INT part wasn't necessary here)