yes/no option - adding up responses

  1. #1

    Question yes/no option - adding up responses

    Hi

    I have created a workbook with 4 sheets that are basically the same. I want to be know how to do the following:

    1. I have a column of cells (all sheets) that I want the inputer to only be able to type "yes" or "no" in. (or leave blank).
    2. I have a cell that I want to total only the "yes" answers on the sheet the cell resides.
    3. I also have a cell that I want to total only the "yes" answers on ALL sheets.

    Any help with this would be very appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

    -LV

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: yes/no option - adding up responses

    have a look in the help index for COUNTIF

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: yes/no option - adding up responses

    Assuming column B on each sheet holds the yes/no answers.

    I reserved Column A for the questions.

    On all sheets in C1 enter =COUNTIF(B1:B200,"yes")

    This counts yesses on each sheet in Column B

    On sheet1 in D1 enter =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet4!C1)

    This totals all yesses from all sheets.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Thank you, that was very helpful, but a couple questions.

    1. Is there a way to make it so ONLY yes or no can be input into those cells? In fact, I would like it to auto fill with yes when a Y is typed; n for no if possible.

    2. on =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet4!C1) is that literal or do I replace "Sheet1" with the names of my sheets?
    Last edited by LordVido; 06-23-2006 at 12:30 AM.

  5. #5
    Ok I figured it all out. thanks again.