4, 5, and 6 digit numbers should be text

  1. #1
    Jim May
    Guest

    4, 5, and 6 digit numbers should be text

    In an application I have going I refer to a field
    "Location", here are (samples):

    All are strict location numbers and no math
    Will ever be performed using them..

    I use Vlookup() formulas which use them
    extensively. A recent "quick-programming-change"
    I made recently caused me (to make it work) take
    Several of these fields and enter the ' character
    In front of to get it to work
    '4133
    '51053
    '617111

    I always stay clear of the Format such as Text as
    I know it doesn't really make the cell value (4133) actually text.

    For data entry is there some way I can enter 4133 alone
    Without the leading ' and have it register to Excel as Text
    So that it can be read in a Vlookup() without having to
    Deal with the first ISERR() argument?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jim May

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: 4, 5, and 6 digit numbers should be text

    Well ... don't stay away from the 'Text' format any longer!

    *Pre*format the range to "Text", and see what happens.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    HTH,

    RD

  3. #3
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: 4, 5, and 6 digit numbers should be text

    RD,

    *Pre*format the range to "Text", and see what happens.
    << Yes, I've seen this before, but I didn't buy the farm,
    although perhaps I should (have).

    I've ben using this Macro, of late to accompdate things..

    Sub AddApostrophe()
    For Each c In Selection
    c.Value = "'" & c.Value
    Next c
    End Sub

    news:#[email protected]:

  4. #4
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: 4, 5, and 6 digit numbers should be text

    RD,

    I've been thinking more about this, and the problem
    Is that although one Pre-formats a range as Text,
    If (and you often do) you copy numbers from another
    Range and then paste them into the Pre-formatted
    Range, it's formatting (the destination range) gets
    "blown-away" and receives the Source formatting,
    So there you go - there needs to be perhaps a Paste-As-Text
    Command.
    Any thoughts?

    Tks again,
    Jim

  5. #5
    David Biddulph

    > RD,
    >
    > I've been thinking more about this, and the problem
    > Is that although one Pre-formats a range as Text,
    > If (and you often do) you copy numbers from another
    > Range and then paste them into the Pre-formatted
    > Range, it's formatting (the destination range) gets
    > "blown-away" and receives the Source formatting,
    > So there you go - there needs to be perhaps a Paste-As-Text
    > Command.
    > Any thoughts?

    Paste Special/ Values or
    Paste Special/ Formulas

    In either case, the destination's formatting is preserved.
    --
    David Biddulph