Percentage Increase/Decrease

  1. #1
    Leamington Spa, UK

    Percentage Increase/Decrease

    Hello! I often appear better than most people at Excel but coming here shows I'm not! I've been searching through pages and pages for a formula to calucate percentages but can't find anything quite right.

    Column D is an account balance with a new row for each day.
    Column E is the percentage difference.

    It looks like this: click here!

    Is it possible to calculate this?

    I tried =1-(D5/D4) which gave me the correct figure, except positive when the difference was a reduction so should have been -XX%, not XX%. However this figure thn gave the wrong figures when it was an increase.

    Any help you can give is hugely appreciated. I often need help lately with odds bits and would be interested in any fee-based support available.

    Thank you for your help.

    Ian
    Last edited by ianonline; 06-24-2006 at 10:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Percentage Increase/Decrease

    Ian,

    Try...
    =(D5-D4)/D4
    Then format column E with a percent number format,
    such as... 0.0%

    For info on fee based support...
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    "ianonline"
    <[email protected]>

  3. #3

    ianonline wrote:
    > Column D is an account balance with a new row for each day.
    > Column E is the percentage difference.
    > [....]
    >
    > I tried *=1-(D5/D4)* which gave me the correct figure, except positive
    > when the difference was a reduction so should have been -XX%, not XX%.
    > However this figure thn gave the wrong figures when it was an increase.

    If you want to say "D5 is x% more (or less) than D4", the correct
    formula is:

    =d5/d4 - 1

    Beware when D4 is zero. Mathematically, you cannot express a
    percentage difference in that case. But people still like to see some
    percentage difference. One approach (which not everyone likes) is:

    =if(d4 = 0, 100%, d5/d4 - 1)

    The choice of 100% is arbitrary. Other common choices are "" (blank
    cell) or D5 (usually w-a-y too large, IMHO).