Where is the location for backup files

  1. #1
    Bill
    Guest

    Where is the location for backup files

    Weekly and sometime daily I post entries into an xcel worksheet and save the
    file as xx. Today, while using google I opened a worksheet and wanted to
    close it without using and exited but noticed as I hit the yes and enter that
    somehow the xx file name appeared. I reopened the xx file and it is blank.
    Where can I find the history folder containing yesterday's version or how can
    I retrieve the earlier version. I have not shut down the computer.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Where is the location for backup files

    Bill

    First, which version of Excel are you using? The backup strategies and
    capabilities of each version are quite different.

    Unless you have set your workbook to "always create backups", you may be out of
    luck with finding a backup.

    Excel does not keep a history folder of yesterday's version by default.

    You say you opened/closed without using.

    Should be no reason for the blank book if you saved it with the same name "xx"

    Maybe the data is just scrolled out of view?

    Perhaps you hid a sheet? Format>Sheet>Unhide

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP