Sorting Data in a Pivot Table

  1. #1
    Janet BN
    Guest

    Sorting Data in a Pivot Table

    Hi, some help please.

    I have a pivot table which lists job no's & tasks (exported from MSP) with
    the "data" the start & finish dates. I need to sort the job's by start date.
    I have tried a number of things, but not the result I want, so I checked out
    Help. Help suggests the following:

    On the PivotTable toolbar, click PivotTable, and then click Sort and Top 10
    etc.

    But for some reason the "Sort and Top 10" function is grey'd out in the
    menu. Do I have to have something else turned on for this to work.

    Alternatively, is there another way for the data sort to override the
    Row/Column data.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Data in a Pivot Table

    The Sort and Top 10 command is available for Row and Column fields.
    If you want to sort by the dates in the data field, the quickest way is
    to select a cell in the column that you want to sort, then click the A-Z
    or Z-A button on the Excel toolbar.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    Janet BN
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Data in a Pivot Table

    Thanks Debra, but I'm afraid that did not work. The data didn't move at all.

    Any other ideas that might help please.

    Janet

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Data in a Pivot Table

    Select the Job No field button, and on the PivotTable menu, choose
    PivotTable> Sort and Top 10
    Select Ascending (or Descending)
    From the "Using Field" dropdown, choose Date
    Click Ok

  5. #5
    Janet BN
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Data in a Pivot Table

    Thanks Debra - your a hero. It's amazing how simple the answer can be
    sometimes - Doh!

    Janet

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Data in a Pivot Table

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that it helped.