how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

  1. #1
    Keith
    Guest

    how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    In Excel, If I format a cell with date and time and enter =today( )
    I get the correct current date and a time of 12:00 AM
    Never the current time. How do I get the current time?
    If I enter =NOW( ) I get the correct current time.
    Thanks.
    Keith

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    Hi Keith

    use =Now() and format as mm/dd/aaaa hh:mm

    HTH
    Regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    use =NOW()??!!!

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    You can't.

    Today returns the date, not the time.
    Google is your best friend!

  5. #5
    Keith
    Guest

    RE: how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    Sorry, I should have stated that I wish the time and date to remain static,
    never changing.

  6. #6
    Keith
    Guest

    RE: how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    I want the date and time to be static. =NOW( ) changes everytime I open the
    worksheet.

  7. #7
    Keith
    Guest

    Re: how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    OK. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    Keith,
    If you want a static date/time you will need to use VBA to
    assign NOW() to your required cell(s).

    What event determines if/when the date/time changes (as opposed to everytime
    the w/book is opened)?

  9. #9
    Marcelo
    Guest

    Re: how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    Hi Keith, what about to use =now() copy and past special values?

    HTH
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    Keith

    To enter a static date use CTRL + ;(semi-colon)

    To enter static Now time use CTRL + SHIFT + ;(semi-colon)

    To get both in same cell with space between CTRL + ;

    Let go of CTRL and hit <space> then CTRL + SHIFT + ;

    Format to dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  11. #11
    Keith
    Guest

    RE: how do I get a current time using =TODAY() instead of 12:00 AM

    Got it worked out using a user defined function in visual basic.

    Thanks for the assistance.

    Keith