Filtering

  1. #1
    Kathy
    Guest

    Filtering

    Is there a limitation of items that will appear in the drop down box when a
    filter is applied. My options only reveal about 3/4 of the items in the
    column. If there is a limitation can it be increased?? Or are there other
    alternatives?

    Thanks for any help you can give.

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Filtering

    Yes, the drop-down list only displays 1000 values. The filter will still
    work on all of your data, its just a display limitation of the drop-down box.

    You can use the "Custom" filter option as a workaround. Or, perhaps you
    could filter your data on a different column first to narrow the results to
    less than 1000 values?

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Filtering

    Kathy

    1000 unique items will appear in the filter list.

    Less if you have any blank row part way down the column.

    For workarounds use "contains" or any of the other search terms in the Custom
    dialog.

    Debra Dalgleish has a few other suggestions for dealing with this problem.

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlautofilter02.html#Limits

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Kathy
    Guest

    RE: Filtering

    Thank you - so there isn't a way to display more than 1000. I keep track of
    courses taught by faculty members and we have over 2500 instructors. I
    thought filtering would be an easy way to pick an instructor to see their
    teaching history.