unmerge cells

  1. #1

    unmerge cells

    The merge cells option has been deselected and I want to be able to unmerge the cells. I don't know how or why the merge cells option has been deselected (I inherited the document) but as far as I can see, the document is not protected. How can I access the merge cells option to be able to unmerge?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: unmerge cells

    Select the merged cells.

    Format>Cells>Alignment.

    What is in the merge cells option box?

    Try clicking it a few times.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    the merge cells option is deselected. that is, I can't tick or untick. it is currently ticked (but greyed out).

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: unmerge cells

    If the workbook is shared, you won't be able to merge or unmerge cells.
    That's one of many features that aren't available:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...010801033.aspx

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  5. #5
    Thanks Debra!! Yes, I can see now that the file appears to be "shared" (I can only tell this by the title [shared] after the file name at the top. As I said, I have inherited this file, is there someway to "unshare" it or do I have to save it as a different file to get rid of the shared status??

    Susan

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: unmerge cells

    You should make a backup copy of the file, because it may have history
    that you'll need later. The history would be deleted if you remove sharing.

    Then, on another copy of the file:

    Choose Tools>Share Workbook
    On the Editing tab, remove the check mark from 'Allow changes by more
    than one user at the same time.'
    Click OK

  7. #7
    Thanks again, Debra. I'll do that.