Tab character is messing me up

  1. #1
    Some Dude
    Guest

    Tab character is messing me up

    I imported some data from one an excel file on one of our company web sites.
    When I look at it everything looks fine. When my boss looks at it he sees
    characters shaped like little boxes where I see blank spaces. I copied the
    blank spaces and pasted them into Word and I can see the arrows you'd see
    for tabs in a Word document if you selected View Paragraph marks.
    How can I replace these with blank space in the Excel file?
    Why can my boss see them in excel but I can't?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Tab character is messing me up

    The little boxes could be carriage returns.

    To get rid of then do an Edit>Replace

    What: ALT + 0100(from the numpad, not the regular keys)

    With: space or nothing

    Replace all.

    If your boss set his cells to "wrap text" he would not see the little boxes.

    If you want to see them, uncheck "wrap text"

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Some Dude
    Guest

    Re: Tab character is messing me up

    It's not carriage return. Know were I might find a table of all the other
    symbols?

  4. #4

    Re: Tab character is messing me up

    Saved from a previous post:

    Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that
    character(s) is:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    Since you do see a box, then you can either fix it via a helper cell or a macro:

    =substitute(a1,char(13),"")
    or
    =substitute(a1,char(13)," ")

    Replace 13 with the ASCII value you see in Chip's addin.

    Or you could use a macro (after using Chip's CellView addin):

    Option Explicit
    Sub cleanEmUp()

    Dim myBadChars As Variant
    Dim myGoodChars As Variant
    Dim iCtr As Long

    myBadChars = Array(Chr(10), Chr(13)) '<--What showed up in CellView?

    myGoodChars = Array(" "," ") '<--what's the new character?

    If UBound(myGoodChars) <> UBound(myBadChars) Then
    MsgBox "Design error!"
    Exit Sub
    End If

    For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
    ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), _
    Replacement:=myGoodChars(iCtr), _
    LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
    MatchCase:=False
    Next iCtr

    -------
    Sometimes those funny characters don't work in the edit|Find dialog.
    alt-0010 (or ctrl-j) (aka: alt-enters) work ok. char(13) has never worked for
    me.

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Tab character is messing me up

    Typo patrol...........should be 0010(not 0100) but if a Tab

    Try this formula for Tab CHAR(9)

    =substitute(a1,char(9)," ")

    A handy add-in to have is Chip Pearson's CELLVIEW.XLA

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    To get a listing of codes for characters enter in A1 of a new sheet

    =CHAR(ROW())

    Drag/copy down 256 rows.

    Gord