+ sign is driving me nuts

  1. #1

    + sign is driving me nuts

    Hi everyone, I'm just starting out with Excel so pardon my ignorance in advance.

    I want to have a + sign in one of the cells on my spreadsheet. I don't want to add anything, just want the +sign to show as a standard character, nothing more.

    for example, I want one of the cells to be +$300.00. But anytime I put in a + sign in a cell, it automatically assumes I want to do addition.

    How can I get around this?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Put a ' in front of it

    HTH
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    Peter Ellis
    Guest

    RE: + sign is driving me nuts

    Putting a ' in front of the number changes it to text. Use the following
    custom number format

    +#,###_)

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: + sign is driving me nuts

    The answer depends on exactly what do you want to do with the "$300"

    If you're going to use it as 'Text', meaning *no* calculations,
    simply prefix it with an apostrophe ( '$300.00), where the apostrophe will
    not be visible in the cell, but can be seen in the formula bar.

    On the other hand, if you're going to use the cell in calculations, you
    could try custom formatting the cell, where the plus sign will display when
    numbers are entered, while text will display normally.

    <Format> <Cells> <Number> tab,
    Click on "Custom", and in the "Type" box on the right, enter:

    Then <OK>.

    --
    HTH,

    RD