Way around row limitation

  1. #1
    mrwawa
    Guest

    Way around row limitation

    Hi all,

    I have a spreadsheet with the dimensions 530 columns by 598 rows. It
    is saved as a .wk1 file and I use a program called PCOrd to open it
    properly. However, I want to save the file as a text file for
    statistical analysis, but am unable to do so in PCOrd.

    Any ideas how I can get around this and save as a text file?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Re: Way around row limitation

    excel 2003 and below only supports 256 columns.

    But the beta version of xl2007 supports 16k columns.

    Maybe you could join the beta test group and save your data using xl2007???

    ======
    I know nothing about PCOrd, but can you open the file there and then just
    copy|paste into NotePad to get your text file?

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Way around row limitation

    According to a document on this page:

    http://www.abdn.ac.uk/local/handbook...NG%20PCord.doc

    you can export directly from PCOrd to a .txt file. The problem is that you
    aren't going to read it back into any current version of Excel (other than
    2007) without modifying/preprocessing it first because of the large number of
    columns involved.

    An internet search on simply PCord may provide more help?

  4. #4
    mrwawa
    Guest

    Re: Way around row limitation

    Joining the beta test group may be the way to go. Thanks for the
    advice. Sadly, PCOrd won't allow me to cut and paste the file.

  5. #5
    mrwawa
    Guest

    Re: Way around row limitation

    I can export the text file from PCOrd, however the data is in list
    format and not in a matrix format. I need it in a matrix format for
    some of the analyses I need to do. At the present time I can get it
    into R and am working on converting it to a matrix, with the first
    column of the list being the row names, the second column being the
    column names and the third column of the list populating the matrix.

    Now my question is more an R question than an Excel.

    Thanks again.

    Wade