No Takers- Vlookup

  1. #1
    reno
    Guest

    No Takers- Vlookup

    have one workbook that is census and marketing data with the zipcode as the
    key, it contains the named range zips1in file name zipcodes2006

    what i want to do is have a currently open workbook file name midwest
    region, use this zipcode workbook, keying off the zipcodes using the vlookup.

    how do i write the formula to refer to another workbook, with a named range?
    e.g.
    vlookup(zips2, {go zipcodes.xls then zips1},field) where zips1 and zips2 are
    named ranges.

    i think yo can still go the c:\documents and settings\owner\excel\marketing
    data\\zipcodes2006!$zips!$--can you just point and click??
    Thanks

  2. #2

    Try this

    http://www.wvu.edu/~planning/XLTrain...andout%203.doc

    You are correct about being able to point and click the cells on the other worksheet... but using vlookup requires a pretty thorough explanation. The link above provides a very good resource.

  3. #3
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: No Takers- Vlookup

    This might set you in the general direction:

    =VLOOKUP(A1,Book1!ZipCodes,2)

    Where A1 is in the workbook you want the lookup value placed in,
    Book1!ZipCodes is the name of the file and the named range in that file of
    the lookup table, and 2 is the column in the lookup table that has the return
    value

    --
    Kevin Backmann

  4. #4
    reno
    Guest

    RE: No Takers- Vlookup

    wouldn't this assume that the two files are in the same directory? if not,
    don't you have to specify the drive and path?

  5. #5
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: No Takers- Vlookup

    You mentioned in your first post that the file with the lookup table was
    open, therefore, if you type "=Vlookup(A1," and then press CTRL+F6 to go to
    the workbook with the lookup table, click INSERT in the menu, select
    NAME/PASTE and paste in the range name, and then type a comma and the return
    value column and press ENTER, the path name is not shown in the cell.

    But, if you click EDIT in the menu while you're in the workbook that has the
    VLOOKUP formula, click on LINKS and you'll see that Excel has picked up the
    full path of the lookup table workbook.

    Sorry for the run-on sentence it's been a long day...
    --
    Kevin Backmann

  6. #6
    reno
    Guest

    RE: No Takers- Vlookup

    on the INsert, name and paste are not highlighted, so they are not available?

  7. #7
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: No Takers- Vlookup

    If both workbooks are open when the formula is keyed, Excel puts the full
    path in for me when I close the source workbook so

    =VLOOKUP(A1,Book1.xls!ZipCodes,2)

    is changed automatically to

    =VLOOKUP(A1,'I:\Excel\Book1.xls'!ZipCodes,2)

    after typing =VLOOKUP(A1, use your mouse to navigate to the other
    workbook, select/highlight your table-excel will put the proper range
    reference into your fomula, then type ,2) to finish the formula and hit
    Enter. Then close the source workbook. This way, Excel handles the single
    quotes, brackets, exclamation points, path, etc. And, if the range is named,
    excel converts the range reference to use the name instead.

    BTW - I am assuming your zipcodes are sorted ascending. Your original post
    omits the fourth argument for VLOOKUP which specifies an approximate match so
    excel will find the largest value that is smaller than your criteria.