paste AND convert from delimited values

  1. #1
    Eanna
    Guest

    paste AND convert from delimited values

    Hello,
    I'd really appreciate some help on the following.

    I'm cutting columns of values delimited by spaces from a console
    window.

    I'd like to paste the values into excel and at the same time have Excel
    place values from each column into separate cells, using the spaces to
    delimit the columns.

    Currently, the paste special only shows a paste as text options which
    places a full row into a single cell.

    Currently I can only achieve my result by:
    pasting data into text file
    opening text file in excel
    engaging the conversion options at that stage

    Thanks in advance,

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: paste AND convert from delimited values

    Paste the data into one column of Excel then use Data |
    Text-to-columns, which will allow you to split the data into its
    constituent parts quite easily.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3

    Re: paste AND convert from delimited values

    Excel likes to help. And you may be able to take advantage of that.

    If you add some dummy data to a cell, then run data|text to columns using
    delimited by space (then clean up those cells), excel will remember these
    settings for the next time you paste text into excel.

    Excel will default back to its normal behavior if you close excel and reopen
    it. And it'll forget about these settings if you do another data|text to
    columns.

    So doing one "dummy" data|text to columns may be enough to do the rest of your
    copy|pastes.