Extracting source data that I want

  1. #1

    Extracting source data that I want

    I wanted to know whether it is possible to extract certain information from one excel worksheet to another excel worksheet. I only want certain columns and I can't figure out how to get them. For instance, there is a column that represents the regions (denoted by r) of the United States. There are 9 values that r can take on (Census Divisions). I want to extract all the data that I need from each of these regions and put them into separate worksheets.

    That is, I'd like to have one .xls file with 10 sheets (Source Data and then the regional data all extracted from the source data).

    I'm using Excel 97... I'd like to upgrade but it seems that there are protections on this computer. I've considered treating the source data as a separate .xls file. I was trying to figure out how I can retrieve the information I wanted if I imported data and it seems that I need a query. I tried this method, but I don't have Microsoft Query installed.

    Anyways, I'd appreciate any help on this.

  2. #2

    Re: Extracting source data that I want

    I like to keep all my data in one spot, but...

    You may want to look at the way Ron de Bruin and Debra Dalgleish approached it:

    Ron de Bruin's EasyFilter addin:
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

    Code from Debra Dalgleish's site:

    Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
    separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
    automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

    Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
    Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
    AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb

  3. #3
    Thanks for your response Dave...

    I forgot to mention one detail though. Every year, the source data will be updated. My objective is to design my spreadsheets so that I can just replace the source file and all the regional data is automatically updated. The linking is the easy part, its just extracting the information that is difficult for me.

    I replied while glazing over some of the references you gave me. So, I haven't looked at everything yet.

    I just thought I'd mention this just in case you had other references to give me. Thanks.