Analyzing a sub-totalled list

  1. #1

    Analyzing a sub-totalled list

    I have a list of sub-totalled parts similar to this:

    Part x Description 1 Used on Car 1
    Part x Description 2 Used on Car 2
    Part x Description 3 Used on Car 3
    Part x Total 6

    Part y Description 2 Used on Car 2
    Part y Description 3 Used on Car 3
    Part y Total 5

    Part z Description 5 Used on Car 1
    Part z Total 5

    There are three different parts x, y and z which are used in differing
    quantities on different models of cars.

    I want to know:
    a) how many parts are used only on car 1, only on car 2, etc.
    b) how many parts are used on car 1 and car 2
    c) how many parts are used on car 1, car 2 and car 3
    etc.

    for all of the various combinations.

    Any ideas?

    Garth

  2. #2

    Re: Analyzing a sub-totalled list

    First, I'd remove the subtotals.

    Then I'd use data|pivottable to come up with that summary report.

    Add a single row of headers (if you don't have them now)
    Select the whole range
    Data|Pivottable
    follow the wizard until you get to the step with a Layout button.
    Click that button
    Drag the Part number button to the row field
    drag the car type button to the column field
    drag the qty button to the data area
    If you don't see "sum of", double click on it and choose sum of

    And finish up the wizard.

    If you want to read more about pivottables...

    Here are a few links:

    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

  3. #3

    Re: Analyzing a sub-totalled list

    Thanks very much. Your post worked perfectly. I hadn't ever used
    Pivot Tables before so I'm glad I got to learn about them.

  4. #4

    Re: Analyzing a sub-totalled list

    Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes at her site about Pivottables.

    And she's written a book, too!

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...91037?n=283155

    You may want to look at it at your local bookstore to see if you should own it.