Averaging 14 Cells

  1. #1
    Darren
    Guest

    Averaging 14 Cells

    Hello - I am trying to get the average of 14 cells on 14 different sheets,
    i.e. cells C14 on worksheets 1-14. The problem I am running into is that
    some of these cells may contain no data and so I am getting the #DIV/0!
    error. Help...

  2. #2
    ufo_pilot
    Guest

    RE: Averaging 14 Cells

    =AVERAGE(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!A1,Sheet3!A1) up to 30 cells in this manner
    even if there is no data for say 4 out of 14 points, then the AVERAGE
    function will still average the arithmetic mean out the 10 with data.

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Averaging 14 Cells

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:32:03 -0800, Darren <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hello - I am trying to get the average of 14 cells on 14 different sheets,
    >i.e. cells C14 on worksheets 1-14. The problem I am running into is that
    >some of these cells may contain no data and so I am getting the #DIV/0!
    >error. Help...

    Post your formula and the contents of the cells with "no data".

    The AVERAGE worksheet function ignores empty cells.
    --ron

  4. #4
    Darren
    Guest

    RE: Averaging 14 Cells

    Right and that is what I thought, but the problem is that I have a formula in
    those cells that gives me the error and so when I average, it is averaging
    something wtih an error. Sorry I didn't add that in.

  5. #5
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    RE: Averaging 14 Cells

    #DIV/0! means that either there is no numeric data in ANY of the cells, or
    that at least one of those cells contains a #DIV/0! error.

    If the former, use =IF(COUNT(data)=0,0,AVERAGE(data))
    If the later, use =AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(data),data)) array entered
    (Ctrl-Shift-Enter)

    Note that if a cell contains text digits, it is still text and will be
    ignored by the AVERAGE function, even though it looks like a number.

    As was noted previously AVERAGE(data) will ignore cells that have no data,
    but if none of the cells have data, then you get 0/0 which will give you the
    #DIV/0! error.

    Depending on how the cells are laid out, there may be multiple ways to write
    the reference.
    =AVERAGE(Sheet1!C14,Sheet2!C14,Sheet3!C14,...,Sheet14!C14)
    will work, and will ignore empty and non-numeric cells, but it is much
    easier to write it as a 3-D formula
    =AVERAGE(Sheet1:Sheet14!C14)

    Jerry

  6. #6
    I tried this (sorta) for what I'm doing. I know some of the info above works when you are staying in the same workbook; however, I'm trying to do the same thing but my main formula is in another workbook. I'm trying to average up a series of cells but in a total of 30 different sheets.