loan payments - Interest only?

  1. #1

    loan payments - Interest only?

    I know the pmt function allows for a regularly mortgage payment to be calculated, but is there a function, or does anyone know a working formula to calculate an interest only payment?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Sydney, Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    2013 64bit
    Posts
    1,394
    Isn't is just a straight interest calculation? multiply the rate by the principal and that should be the payment.

  3. #3

    Re: loan payments - Interest only?

    Steach91 wrote:
    > I know the pmt function allows for a regularly mortgage payment to be
    > calculated, but is there a function, or does anyone know a working
    > formula to calculate an interest only payment?

    (You might need to specify whether you are talking about Canadian
    mortgage or otherwise. I will assume a US mortgage.)

    It is simply the interest accrued during the month (or payment period).
    Ostensibly, for a $150,000 loan at 7% interest rate for example, that
    is simply 150000*7%/12 = $875. And that is indeed what one online
    interest-only calculator computes.

    However, for most US loans, I believe interest compounds daily. In
    order to keep the interest-only payments equal (I presume), I would
    expect the monthly payment to be $877.47 or a rounded equivalent; that
    is:

    =fv(7%/365, 365/12, 0, -150000) - 150000

  4. #4
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: loan payments - Interest only?

    Whatever the First months Interest Payment is $$$- It is the Same Every
    month unless or until you begin paying against the Principal.

    "Steach91" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]: