How do i multiply an hourly rate by hours in Excel?

  1. #1
    Rackenford.
    Guest

    How do i multiply an hourly rate by hours in Excel?

    So, i have a table which is co-ordinating hours worked for my clients.
    However, this has been generated into a box where i am using a hh:mm format.
    I am then inputing an hourly rate and require a multiplication to take
    place. As i have a different value for different clients, i need to be able
    to input a number and this to be multiplied by the hours.
    I am going crazy as the Excel help facility is either sending me round in
    circles or giving me help which is no help at all.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    If A1 is time worked in time format and B1 is hourly rate then use this formula

    =A1*B1*24

    format as currency

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: How do i multiply an hourly rate by hours in Excel?

    If you have a different hourly rate per client, then set up table of client
    (number/ID) and hourly rate. Let's say this is columns A and B of Sheet2 with
    A being Client and B hourly rate.

    Then (say in Sheet1) in cell C1 put

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$10,2,FALSE)),0,B1*24*VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$10,2,FALSE))

    Where A1 is client number
    B1 = total hours worked
    C1 will be hours * client hourly rate

    VLOOKUP will return the hourly rate for client in A1. If client cannot be
    found, the value will be 0.

    Change ranges/sheet(s) to suit.

    NOTE: in the hours cell, format as [h]:mm otherwise for hours > 24 correct
    figure will not be shown.

    HTH