Auto adjust rows to size of contents

  1. #1
    Howjos
    Guest

    Auto adjust rows to size of contents

    I have seen spreadsheets set up where as more information is entered into a
    cell the rows expand to be able to show all contents. Unlike standard
    wrapping, where any text greater than the size of the cell disappears out the
    bottom.

    Can anyone tell me how to do this?

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,475
    How many digits do you require??

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Auto adjust rows to size of contents

    Format>Rows>Autofit.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Howjos
    Guest

    Re: Auto adjust rows to size of contents

    I have done this, but it always take the row back down to one line only. i am
    trying to enter up to ten lines of text in the cell.

    Is there something besides the autofit that needs to be turned on?

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Auto adjust rows to size of contents

    When you first format a cell to wrap text,
    <Format> <Cells> <Alignment> tab,
    And click on "Wrap Text",
    "Auto Fit" is automatically enabled.

    However, once you touch (change, modify) the height of the row manually,
    intentionally or accidentally, "Auto Fit" is *automatically disabled*.

    You must now reset it to work automatically by,
    <Format. <Row> <AutoFit>.

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Stilla
    Guest

    Re: Auto adjust rows to size of contents

    One a slightly different note.... This does not seem to work when dealing
    with merged cells. The "wrap" command without touching the line worked
    perfectly on one cell, but when I merged several cells together, th row
    height no longer does self-adjusts. Is this the nature of the beast, or
    something I'm doing?

    Thanks,
    Stilla

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Auto adjust rows to size of contents

    Stilla

    Would be nice if you stuck to one thread.

    Autofit does not work with merged cells.

    One more reason not to use that feature.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP