Help needed...test score statistics

  1. #1
    Justin
    Guest

    Help needed...test score statistics

    Hello everyone:

    I have been asked to help work on a project involving achievement test
    results. I would need to find a relatively painless way of inserting the
    data and then comparing results over a period of eight years. Each section
    of the achievement test has a raw score, a scaled score, a graded equivalent
    and a percentile based on the section of the population taking the test.
    There are five sections in total, one of which will only be taken by the
    first level. How would I go about doing this? How could I then look at
    specific characteristics of each student and see how that affects the data?
    This is a little beyond my ability with excel but I said that I would give it
    a shot.

  2. #2
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Help needed...test score statistics

    Justin,
    This one just needs more information. How are the scores saved right now?
    Electronically somewhere or just on paper? If they are in electronic files,
    do you know what type of file?
    After figuring out how to get them into Excel we can deal with how to
    analyze the data. For a start I would suggest a separate sheet for each
    section. You will want some kind of indicator for the 'section of the
    population' that took the tests - if that ends up being the division of data
    by sheet, that's fine for now. But you also say you want to look at specific
    characteristics of each student - where is that information coming from?

  3. #3
    Justin
    Guest

    RE: Help needed...test score statistics

    Thank you for answering. I will have to ask how those scores are stored now,
    whether it is electronically or on paper. I had started out by creating a
    separate sheet for each grade. Would that work as well? The specific
    characteristics would be ethnicity, native language, and so on.

  4. #4
    Justin
    Guest

    RE: Help needed...test score statistics

    They are stored on paper...

  5. #5
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Help needed...test score statistics

    So much for the 'painless' way of getting the information into Excel. It
    might be possible to use some OCR tools and scan them into .txt files to be
    read in, maybe not, but even so, it might take some code to read and separate
    the data the way you need. Something tells me someone is going to be doing a
    lot of typing for a while - got any handy undergrads laying around hungry for
    some extra credit?

    Here's how I'd probably start out - I would put ALL information for ALL
    results on a single sheet - assuming they'll fit within 65535 rows.

    Sit down and plan this out a little before starting out. Besides the
    obvious information to be entered such as student ID/Name, scores, etc. You
    will want to also consider all of the ways you may want to break up the data
    later for different analysis. So even though maybe the fact that a series of
    results were taken by 5th graders is only implied by the pile they are in, if
    you plan on analyzing by education level later, then you'll want to
    explicitly have an education level column for each result. Same for
    ethnicity, native language, etc. Consider other things you may not think you
    need now, but may later, such as date of test.

    What you want to do initially is be painfully detailed in your data
    gathering, so much so that you don't have to go back and redo even a small
    part of it. Might even have a column to correlate the data on the row with
    the source document for it.

    Think of shortcut ways to help make things easier and more consistent. For
    instance, in the columns for ethnic origin or native language, you might set
    up Data Validation containing all possible groups so that the data entry
    clerk can just choose from a list which will make it a little easier and
    definitely make it easier for analysis later.

    Having everything on a single sheet will make it easier to tell what you've
    done and what you haven't and see gaps in data. It will also make it easy to
    use Excel functions like VLookup to move groups of data to other sheets to
    get it separated out. But Job-One is to get the data into the workbook.

    Now, I'm guessing that 8 years worth of results is a whole big bunch. You
    won't want to lose anything halfway through this project. Make sure you back
    that file up regularly - preferably to either a removable media or at least
    to another computer so that catastrophic failure of the system doesn't cost
    you all of your work. Having it on removable media like a thumb drive or
    flash card can even help protect against catastrophic damage at the facility.

    Now once you've gotten everything into the workbook and have a plan on how
    you want to look at all of the data, then we can start on that phase of it.
    You can be planning some of it while data entry is in progress - but until
    you know specifically what data you have to work with, it's going to be hard
    to finalize that part of the game plan.

    It might even turn out that this will be better suited to being processed by
    a database application like MSFT Access. Having all the informatioin on a
    single sheet with each student/result as a single row entry will make getting
    the data from Excel into the database a classic "piece of cake".

    Once you get to that stage, if you'd like to see if I have any more help to
    offer - and I may or may not - feel free to get in touch with me via email at
    2kmaro @ dslr.net (remove spaces) - just kind of remind me where this
    conversation started.

    Good luck. Aspercream is good for fingers worn out through days of endless
    typing <g>

  6. #6
    Justin
    Guest

    RE: Help needed...test score statistics

    Thank you for that prompt and detailed reply. Well, I guess it's time to get
    to work on this...I'll write again soon.

  7. #7
    Justin
    Guest

    RE: Help needed...test score statistics

    Hi again:

    What exactly did you mean by this sentence, "Might even have a column to
    correlate the data on the row with
    the source document for it."? I am working on setting up the columns now
    and am trying to figure out how to make everything fit on the page. Where
    would I put the ranges needed for analyzing frequency, for example?

  8. #8
    Justin
    Guest

    RE: Help needed...test score statistics

    Do ethnicity and language need to have a number assigned to each option or
    should I just use the text when creating validation?

  9. #9
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Help needed...test score statistics