filter problem

  1. #1

    filter problem

    Hi could someone please help me?

    Ive been using Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet to set up a product order list with different abbreviated codes for each product. eg: FTS CFT etc..

    Now I use the auto-filter to seperate the lists of both products in the one column, which previously has divided them ok. This time however Im a bit confused as when I click on the auto-filter bar for the product column and choose to view one type of product for some reason it lists about 40 rows of the same product code ie: FTS FTS FTS then after the 40th cell it mixes the products up again when I only requested to see one type of product. For siome reason it doesnt seem to be computing the same request after a certain row????

    Why is this happening?? Does anyone know what the problem could be and how it can be solved?

    Id very much appreciate any help,

    Many Thanks

    Steve

  2. #2
    Dann Pedersen
    Guest

    Re: filter problem

    "strictly_rhythm"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    <SNIP autofilter>

    > one type of product. For siome reason it doesnt seem to be computing
    > the same request after a certain row????
    >
    > Why is this happening?? Does anyone know what the problem could be and
    > how it can be solved?

    I have had a similar experience. I found that whenever there is a empty row
    in the dataset, the autofilter function breaks. This might (rightfully) be
    looked upon as a feature and not a bug.

    Anyway, this is my best bet based on the information you gave.

    Regards
    Dann

  3. #3

    Re: filter problem

    Next time you filter to show the FTS cells, take a look at the row numbers of
    the visible rows.

    You'll see that the rows included in the range are colored blue. My bet is that
    the rows that you see that don't match your criteria are still grey.

    This means that those rows are not part of the autofilter range.

    Remove the filter and select the whole range (Don't let excel guess at it!) and
    then reapply data|filter|autofilter.

    Like Dann suggested, empty rows can make excel guess at the wrong range. If you
    select the range first, you shouldn't have those kinds of problems.

  4. #4

    filter

    thanks Dann and Dave for your help.

    Yes now I see the rows are blue up to the point where there is a break in the numbers. It gets to 64 but there is no 65 and that is where the range goes all funny. Now Ive tried to insert a new row ie: row 65 but it replaces the one below it so if i put in 65 there is no 66 if you understand.

    I think its fair to say it wasnt a bug, thank goodness.

    what shall i do from here?

    Many thanks

    Steve

  5. #5

    Re: filter problem

    Remove the filter
    select the complete range first
    then reapply the filter.

  6. #6

    Range?

    Hi Dave thankyou for your response,

    sorry to sound daft but when you say select the complete range do you mean to highlight the column in question from the very top where it has A B C or which ever particular column it is? or do you mean just highlight from top to bottom the data to be checked? What exactly is selecting the entire range?

    Also when i opened up the spreadsheet there is no gap but i had to click on 'ALL' on the filter to bring up the noticeable break in the list. Why is that?

    regards

    Steve

  7. #7

    Re: filter problem

    I like to select the exact range. I select A1:z9999 if I want to filter the
    data in A1:Z9999. I don't just select the columns in that range.

    And my bet is that there was a gap when data|Filter|autofilter was applied--or
    the filter was applied to the wrong range--but that's just a guess.