Average of work orders per business days

  1. #1
    OrlandoFreeman
    Guest

    Average of work orders per business days

    How could I determine the average of work orders that are received per
    business days in a given month? I have two columns: Column B lists a unique
    code for each work order and Column C lists the date in which each work order
    was created. I don't receive work order every day, but in some days I receive
    any number of work orders.

    Thank you for your help.

    Orlando

  2. #2

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    For any date in A1, you can find the number of workdays in that month with a
    formula like:

    =NETWORKDAYS(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),1),DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,0))

    You can count the number of dates within a month by using something like:

    =sumproduct(--(text(c1:c10,"yyyymm")=text(a1,"yyyymm"))

    Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns.

    =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
    to 1's and 0's.

    Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail here:

    And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

    Then just divide the count by the number of workdays and you'll have an average
    per workday.

    Then you could just divide that

  3. #3
    OrlandoFreeman
    Guest

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    Thank you for your reply, Dave. But I guess I am a newbie and bit confused.
    Please let me give you more info:

    - My range of dates is B3:B117 where each cell is formated as Date, e.g.
    03-Jun-06
    - My range of work order codes is B3:B115
    - In any given business day of the month (e.g. June) I receive either 1 or n
    numbers of work orders
    - I want to determine the average of work orders received per business days
    only (Mon to Fri) for each month of the year (e.g. June ... each month has is
    own worksheet)
    - I want to calculate and show the average of the month in Cell B117 (Cell
    B116 shows the total of work orders in the month).

    Regards,

    Orlando

  4. #4

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    Put a date in that month in say C117.

    Then put this in B117:

    =(sumproduct(--(text(B3:b115,"yyyymm")=text(c117,"yyyymm")))
    /(NETWORKDAYS(DATE(YEAR(c117),MONTH(c117),1),DATE(YEAR(c117),MONTH(c117)+1,0))

    You have to give the formula an idea of what month you want to use.

  5. #5
    OrlandoFreeman
    Guest

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    I got a #NAME? error... whether Enter or Shift + Ctrl + Enter. By the way,
    why doesn't your formulae have dd? How the days are counted?

    Cheers,

  6. #6

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    =networkdays() is a function from the analysis toolpak.

    If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and
    load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

    Tools|Addins

    Depending on how excel was installed, you may need the distribution CD.

    After you install that addin, reenter the formula (F2 followed by enter should
    be enough).

    And take a look at =networkdays() to see how it works. You can even provide a
    list of holidays to ignore, too.

    And no need to ctrl-shift-enter the formula, either.

  7. #7
    OrlandoFreeman
    Guest

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    Thank you again for your help. I ran into two situations:

    1) After having installed Analysis ToolPak, the formulae returned 0.

    2) I also tested the =networkdays() function along and the formulae returned
    the total number of business days of the month, but not the actual business
    days shown in my range (e.g. some business days are not shown because I did
    not received any work order during those days).

    Cheers,

    Orlando

  8. #8

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    Did you put a date from the month you were interested in in C117?

    If yes, did you have any workorders received in that month?

  9. #9
    OrlandoFreeman
    Guest

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    Yes, the date in C117 is 01-Jun-06 (cell is formatted as Date). And yes,
    there are 112 work order codes listed in te range B3:B115.

    Thank you for your patience.

    Orlando

  10. #10

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    Where are the dates located for those work order codes. That formula assumes
    that those dates were in B3:b115

  11. #11
    OrlandoFreeman
    Guest

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    The dates are in the C3:C115 range. I changed the B3:B115 to C3:C115, and I
    got 5.7727. But I am not sure about this figure. For example, in June I
    received 115 work orders. If I divided 115/22=5.22; where 22 is the total
    business days in June. However, in June I only received work orders over 18
    business days out of those 22. As a result, 115/19=6.05. Anyway, I have these
    two columns: B3:B115 lists a unique code for each work order and C3:C115
    lists the date in which each work order was received. I don't receive work
    order every day, but in some days I receive n numbers of work orders.

    Regards,

  12. #12

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    Your original question was:

    How could I determine the average of work orders that are received per
    business days in a given month?

    If you want the per business day average (which seems reasonable to me), use the
    formula you have.

    If you want to only include the business days that you actually got at least one
    workorder, then change the denomiator to:

    (SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(c3:c115,"yyyymm")="200606")/COUNTIF(c3:c115,c3:c115&"")))

    or

    (SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(c3:c115,"yyyymm")=text(somecellwiththedateinit,"yyyymm")
    /COUNTIF(c3:c115,c3:c115&"")))

    It just depends on what you really want.

    If you got 115 workorders all on one day and none the rest of the month, what
    would you want for the average?

    115/1
    or
    115/22

  13. #13
    OrlandoFreeman
    Guest

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    Thank you so much, Dave.

  14. #14

    Re: Average of work orders per business days

    Hope it worked.