###### Wrong Formula

  1. #1

    ###### Wrong Formula

    Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I used this formula for Cell N29:
    =IF(J29="","",N28+K29)

    The problem is if no value is yet entered into K29, I get ######

    What formula can I use to resolve this problem?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    What do you want to get if K29 has no value? this will give you N28

    =IF(J29="","",SUM(N28,K29))

  3. #3
    I use this formula for Cell N29:
    =IF(J29="","",N28+K29)

    If no value is yet entered into K29, I want N29 to be blank instead of showing ######

  4. #4
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: ###### Wrong Formula

    what is format are you using? What is the value of N28?

    *Pasted from help*
    A ##### error value occurs when the cell contains a number, date, or time
    that is wider than the cell or when the cell contains a date and/or time
    formula that produces a negative result.

  5. #5
    I use this formula for Cell N29:
    =IF(J29="","",N28+K29)

    I think what I want is if both cell nos. J29 and K29 have no value, the formula for N29 to be blank instead of showing ######

    I don't know how to do it
    IF(J29 and K29="","",N28+K29)

    Or do I need to use the AND( formula if both J29 and K29 are blank?

  6. #6
    Forum Expert
    Waikato, New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 @ work & 2007 @ home
    Posts
    2,243
    hi Ningster,

    The below shows two approaches using the AND function:

    =if(and(isblank(j29),isblank(k29)),"",N28+K29)
    or
    =if(and(j29="",k29=""),"",N28+K29)

    As Sloth mentioned the ##### effect could be caused by the values contained within the cells, what type of data is in them?

    hth
    Rob Brockett
    NZ
    Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

  7. #7
    data consist of a 1-decimal number no greater than 100

  8. #8
    Sloth
    Guest

    Re: ###### Wrong Formula

    =IF((J29="")*(K29=""),"",N28+K29)

    I was trying to figure out why you are getting the ###### error. If K29
    contained "" you would get a #VALUE! error instead of a ######. I thought
    maybe N29 was formatted as a date and N28 was a negative number. That would
    give you a ###### error. Or having the cell to thin would also give you the
    ###### error. Just because a referenece cell is blank won't give you that
    error.

  9. #9
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: ###### Wrong Formula

    *Any* error message will produce #####, when the cell is too narrow to
    display it (error msg)!

    RD

    news:[email protected]...