Counting single instances in a column

  1. #1

    Counting single instances in a column

    Got a table of projects few thousands of rows. There is a column for target language (EN, DE, ES etc.) and there is a column with translator name.

    How do I get number of translators who work into one specific language?

    Wahur

  2. #2
    Sheila D
    Guest

    RE: Counting single instances in a column

    Have a look at Dcount or COuntif - one or the other should do what you want.
    HTH

    Sheila
    www.c-i-m-s.com
    MS Office training, London

  3. #3
    [QUOTE=Sheila D]Have a look at Dcount or COuntif - one or the other should do what you want.
    HTH

    DCOUNT does not work - it only counts cells with numbers - I have text
    DCOUNTA does count instances of language - telling me I have x projects done into that language
    COUNTIF does the same as DCOUNTA

    unless you can provide some clever trick that I do not know.

    Maybe I should clarify. The table has 1000s of rows(projects), hundreds of translators, many of whom do more than on project and also many that do different languages. I need an answer to the question: how many translators do I have for language X?

    And please don't accuse me about forcing Excel doing database work. I know that already. Not my fault.

    Vahur
    Last edited by wahur; 07-07-2006 at 08:50 AM.

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Counting single instances in a column

    Can you provide a sample of your data, along with expected results?

  5. #5
    EN John
    EN Jack
    EN John
    EN Anne
    FR Peter
    FR John

    I want to get that I've got 3 translators for EN and 2 translators for FR
    It does not have to be one formula, e.g I can autofilter by language or sort them by lang and copy by lang to other sheets. To use IT terminology, I need to find out how many unique strings are in a column.

    Vahur

  6. #6
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Counting single instances in a column

    Assuming that A2:B7 contains the data, let D2 contain EN, and D3 contain
    FR, then try the following...

    [Option 1]

    Download and and install the free add-in Morefunc.xll, then try the
    following formula, which needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER,
    not just ENTER...

    E2, copied down:

    =COUNTDIFF(IF(A$2:A$7=D2,IF(B$2:B$7<>"",B$2:B$7)),,FALSE)

    [Option 2]

    E2, copied down:

    =COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(A$2:A$7=D2,IF(B$2:B$7<>"",MATCH(B$2:B$7,B$2:B$7,0))
    ),ROW(B$2:B$7)-ROW(B$2)+1))

    ....which also needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER. Note that
    Option 1 is much more efficient.

    Hope this helps!