Perpelexing Row to Column conversion

  1. #1
    Geno
    Guest

    Perpelexing Row to Column conversion

    I have a spreadsheet that has a list of companies and contacts within
    those companies. Some rows have one company with one contact for that
    company. Many rows have the same company info duplicated with a
    different contact info for that company. What I need is unique rows
    with unique company name and all the contacts for that company in the
    same row.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Perpelexing Row to Column conversion

    VBA?

    Sub Test()
    Dim iLastRow As Long
    Dim i As Long

    iLastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    For i = iLastRow To 2 Step -1
    If Cells(i, "A").Value = Cells(i - 1, "A").Value Then
    Cells(i, "B").Resize(, 253).Copy Cells(i - 1, "C")
    Rows(i).Delete
    End If
    Next i

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: Perpelexing Row to Column conversion

    not sure if this is a one time cleanup kind of thing or how much data you but
    one way you could do it is to autofilter, then select a company. It will
    show all the entries and contacts for that company. You could then copy all
    of the contacts below the first row and then 'paste special'....'transpose'
    to the right of your 1st contact in the first row. This will give you a row
    with the company name and the contacts in cells to the right of the company
    name. You would then have to delete all extra rows for that company and move
    onto filtering the next company. If you have tons of companies and tons of
    data this would probably not be the optimum way to do it but if you don't
    have tons of data it will give you what you want.

  4. #4
    Geno

    Bob Phillips wrote:
    > VBA?
    >
    > Sub Test()
    > Dim iLastRow As Long
    > Dim i As Long
    >
    > iLastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    > For i = iLastRow To 2 Step -1
    > If Cells(i, "A").Value = Cells(i - 1, "A").Value Then
    > Cells(i, "B").Resize(, 253).Copy Cells(i - 1, "C")
    > Rows(i).Delete
    > End If
    > Next i

    > HTH
    >
    > Bob Phillips
    >
    > (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
    >
    > "Geno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a spreadsheet that has a list of companies and contacts within
    > > those companies. Some rows have one company with one contact for that
    > > company. Many rows have the same company info duplicated with a
    > > different contact info for that company. What I need is unique rows
    > > with unique company name and all the contacts for that company in the
    > > same row.

    Great!!! It works, almost!!. Suppose there are 11 columns of info
    associated with each contact. In your script, assume A2 is the company
    name that duplicates on several rows and I need contact info in columns
    B2 thru B12 that is different on those each of those several rows. I
    realize that the result will be a very wide spreadsheet but that is
    what I need.