Convert a column of numbers from positive to negative in Excel

  1. #1
    JRoseen
    Guest

    Convert a column of numbers from positive to negative in Excel

    Excel 2003. We would like to copy a column of numbers and then convert the
    whole column (each number in the column) from positive to negative. Can this
    be done?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Convert a column of numbers from positive to negative in Excel

    Type -1 in a cell, then copy that cell.

    Then select the range of numbers to change.

    Menu Edit>PasteSpecial

    Click Multiply, then OK

    Clear the cell with -1

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Convert a column of numbers from positive to negative in Excel

    First, copy and paste your data to create your new column. Then, in any
    blank cell, enter -1. Copy this cell. Then select your new column of data
    and Paste Special. Select "Multiply" in the Paste Special dialog box. Click
    OK. Your data should now be converted from positive to negative (or vice
    versa). You can then delete the -1 you entered earlier.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  4. #4
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Convert a column of numbers from positive to negative in Excel

    Hi, JRoseen,

    =a2*-1

    copy it down

    or insert -1 in the new column copy the original and paste special values
    multiply

    hth
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  5. #5
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Convert a column of numbers from positive to negative in Excel

    I know this has been answered but you can do this in one step by copying the
    column and then paste special and select SUBTRACT. The cells you are pasting
    to, need to be blank.