New Validation option to format 1st letter as Capital letter

  1. #1
    Jeff
    Guest

    New Validation option to format 1st letter as Capital letter

    Hi, I had tried to post general question to find if there is a way to auto
    default 1st letter of a word to be capital letter but so far not possible.
    Pls see reply below.

    AFAIK, this does not exist.
    But you can copy/Paste special values from calculated column back into
    original column.

    Cheers,
    --
    AP

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email protected]...
    > Hi Ardus
    >
    > Thanks for you reply. Your recommended method is to use formula
    > =PROPER(A1).
    > It's referring to another cell, update to correct format and appear in
    > existing cell. Is there a way to update to correct format immediately in
    > existing cell withot referring to another field ? Some kind of excel
    > validation function.
    >
    > Jeff.
    >
    > "Ardus Petus" wrote:
    >
    >> =PROPER(A1)
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> --
    >> AP
    >>
    >> "Jeff" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> [email protected]...
    >> > Hi, I am trying to auto format excel entry to default capital letter
    >> > for
    >> > 1st
    >> > letter of each word. For example: When user insert '10, international
    >> > building, sunny road', the entry will updated to '10, International
    >> > Building,
    >> > Sunny Road'.
    >> >
    >> > Please show me the method.
    >> >
    >> > Your help is very much appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Jeff.

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: New Validation option to format 1st letter as Capital letter

    Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1:H10"

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
    If Not IsNumeric(.Value) Then
    If Not .HasFormula Then
    .Value = Application.Proper(.Value)
    End With
    End If

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Bob Phillips

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I had tried to post general question to find if there is a way to auto
    > default 1st letter of a word to be capital letter but so far not possible.
    > Pls see reply below.
    >
    > AFAIK, this does not exist.
    > But you can copy/Paste special values from calculated column back into
    > original column.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > AP
    >
    > "Jeff" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > [email protected]...
    > > Hi Ardus
    > >
    > > Thanks for you reply. Your recommended method is to use formula
    > > =PROPER(A1).
    > > It's referring to another cell, update to correct format and appear in
    > > existing cell. Is there a way to update to correct format immediately in
    > > existing cell withot referring to another field ? Some kind of excel
    > > validation function.
    > >
    > > Jeff.
    > >
    > > "Ardus Petus" wrote:
    > >
    > >> =PROPER(A1)
    > >>
    > >> HTH
    > >> --
    > >> AP
    > >>
    > >> "Jeff" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de

    > >> [email protected]...

    > ----------------

    this

  3. #3
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: New Validation option to format 1st letter as Capital letter

    Hi Bob,

    Excellent solution. My salute to an expert..THank you very much.

    Best Regards..Jeff

  4. #4
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: New Validation option to format 1st letter as Capital letter

    Hi Bob,

    Assuming there a company name 'company ABC private limited'. by using VBA
    below, it will change to 'Company Abc Private Limited'. Please advise how to
    maintain ABC unchange. Eg. Company ABC Private Limited.

    Thanks.

    Jeff.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: New Validation option to format 1st letter as Capital letter

    Const WS_RANGE As String = "H1:H10"
    Dim i As Long
    Dim tmp As String
    Dim fCapital As Boolean

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
    If Not IsNumeric(.Value) Then
    If Not .HasFormula Then
    fCapital = True
    For i = 1 To Len(.Value)
    If fCapital Then
    tmp = tmp & UCase(Mid(.Value, i, 1))
    fCapital = False
    Else
    tmp = tmp & Mid(.Value, i, 1)
    fCapital = Mid(.Value, i, 1) = " "
    End If
    Next i
    .Value = tmp
    End With
    End If

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Bob Phillips

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Assuming there a company name 'company ABC private limited'. by using VBA
    > below, it will change to 'Company Abc Private Limited'. Please advise how

    > maintain ABC unchange. Eg. Company ABC Private Limited.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff.
    >
    > "Bob Phillips" wrote:

    > > Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1:H10"
    > >
    > > On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    > > Application.EnableEvents = False
    > > If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then
    > > With Target
    > > If Not IsNumeric(.Value) Then
    > > If Not .HasFormula Then
    > > .Value = Application.Proper(.Value)
    > > End If
    > > End If
    > > End With
    > > End If
    > >
    > > ws_exit:
    > > Application.EnableEvents = True
    > > End Sub
    > >
    > > 'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be
    > > 'placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard
    > > 'code module. To do this, right-click on the sheet tab, select
    > > 'the View Code option from the menu, and paste the code in.
    > >

    > > --
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Bob Phillips
    > >
    > > (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
    > >
    > > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi, I had tried to post general question to find if there is a way to

    auto
    > > > default 1st letter of a word to be capital letter but so far not

    possible.
    > > > Pls see reply below.
    > > >
    > > > AFAIK, this does not exist.
    > > > But you can copy/Paste special values from calculated column back into
    > > > original column.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > > --
    > > > AP
    > > >
    > > > "Jeff" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de

    > > > [email protected]...

    in

    immediately in

    excel

    letter

    international

    International

    > > > ----------------
    > > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
    > > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

    the "I
    > > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

    follow
    > > this
    > > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

    then

  6. #6
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: New Validation option to format 1st letter as Capital letter

    Thanks Bob.