Updating a Chart on Open

  1. #1
    Larry Bud
    Guest

    Updating a Chart on Open

    I have a template excel file with two charts and one set of data.
    Using ASP I am updating the dataset with the appropriate values. That
    works fine, however when the XLS file is opened, the chart does not
    reflect the new values. The only way I have found to update the chart
    is to change one of the cells in the data range, then change it back.

    Can I create a macro that will run when the file is opened so that the
    charts will auto refresh?

    TIA.

  2. #2
    Larry Bud
    Guest

    Re: Updating a Chart on Open

    Larry Bud wrote:
    > I have a template excel file with two charts and one set of data.
    > Using ASP I am updating the dataset with the appropriate values. That
    > works fine, however when the XLS file is opened, the chart does not
    > reflect the new values. The only way I have found to update the chart
    > is to change one of the cells in the data range, then change it back.
    >
    > Can I create a macro that will run when the file is opened so that the
    > charts will auto refresh?

    Funny how you can work on something for 4 hours, then post a message,
    then figure a workaround 5 minutes later ;-)

    This IS a workaround, and if anyone has a direct method, please let me
    know. What I did was create a 2nd blank sheet, and save my template
    file so that Sheet2 is the current sheet.

    For some reason when the user activates Sheet1, it updates the
    charting. So I created a macro to automatically activate sheet1 on
    load. It works, but it's kinda messy.