Excel 2000/Visual Basic -- I need to learn...

  1. #1
    CMIConnie
    Guest

    Excel 2000/Visual Basic -- I need to learn...

    I want to teach myself Visual Basic in my limited free time. Can anyone
    point me in the direction of the most efficient/free way to do this? I am a
    hands-on learner and I learn best by example and duplicating tasks then
    creating my own. Is there a good reference website out there of VB
    code/formulas? I am of limited income and I am looking to educate myself to
    further my job opportunities. Thanks for your help!!!

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2000/Visual Basic -- I need to learn...

    The macro recorder is a good place to start. Record some macros and look at
    the code that is generated. This helps learn how vba refers to things. Bear
    in mind, some parts of the code generated by the recorder is unnecessary
    (such as scrolling, selecting, and activating things)

    mvps.org (under the Excel section) has some good links to websites w/code
    samples. I think David McRitchies has some tutorials. Two others that I can
    remember:

    xldynamic.com
    mcgimpsey.com

    If you can afford some books, John Walkenbach has a few (j-walk.com). Some
    of the mvps websites have suggested reading materials.

    And I've found this newsgroup to be a great place to learn. Some of the
    posters include their websites in their signature, so additional places to
    check out.

  3. #3
    CMIConnie
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2000/Visual Basic -- I need to learn...

    Thank you, JMB! I will check out the sources you recommended. It's a start
    I used to know Basic about 15 years ago, so hopefully that is a good start.

  4. #4
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2000/Visual Basic -- I need to learn...

    Connie
    One of the best sources I have seen is these Excel newsgroups. They
    are:
    microsoft.public.excel
    microsoft.public.excel.misc
    microsoft.public.excel.newusers
    microsoft.public.excel.programming
    microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

    The programming newsgroup leans more heavily on programming but they all get
    into programming in various degrees.
    By perusing these newsgroups you will see literally thousands of real
    questions posted by real people as well as responses to those questions.
    The opportunity to learn is right there in black and white.
    You can also post your own questions and get prompt help.
    There are also many books available. The most helpful I have found are the
    series of books by John Walkenback. They are titled Microsoft Excel XXXX
    Power Programming With VBA. The XXXX is the latest version of Excel covered
    by that book. For instance, I have 2000 and 2003. Each book covers all
    versions up to and including the title version, so your best bet is to get
    the latest version of the book. Amazon.com is what I have found to be the
    cheapest source. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    CMIConnie
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2000/Visual Basic -- I need to learn...

    Thanks for your reply! Isn't this technology wonderful? I will check out
    the resources you recommended.
    Connie