Function:Help With Sorting

  1. #1

    Unhappy Function:Help With Sorting

    Gudday to all XL gurus.

    I need some help on using the SORT function.
    I have a list of 100 competitors in a scoring spreadsheet that I have written.

    I was trying to sort by surname (a-z). The problem is that this list is generated elsewhere and contains VLOOKUP functions. Obviously if i have less than 100 competitors I end up with some cells appear blank but contain VLOOKUP functions. XL sorts them first and I want them sorted last after the surnames (a-z). I cant add a helper column as this list relates to over 48,000 forumulaes and functions that are already added. If I add a helper column I have to re write all those formulaes.

    I tried adding a custom list in the tools - options - custom lists but that still doesnt work.

    ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

    cheers and thanks guys/gals
    CHAPPO555

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    re: Function:Help With Sorting

    Hi

    I can't see why you would need to re-write all your formulae, but anyway
    a helper column can be placed anywhere on the sheet. Place it to the far
    right of your block of data, and assuming your column with the Names is
    column A, in this new helper column enter
    =IF(A2="",REPT("Z",255),A2)
    and copy down
    Any cells returning Null from your Vlookup's will be converted to a
    string of Z's.
    Now mark the whole block of data (including your new column to the far
    right) and sort ascending on the new column.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    HELP with sorting

    Thanks for that, unfortunatly I had thought of that option. The problem is that Column A is used as a source for over 20 other pages of data. All of those pages rely on =if(isblank(name in col A),"****",vlookup,name in col A,one of 20 other sheets,other cell,row)) (example used).
    If I change data in Column A to z rept, 255 then all of the other 20 sheets start looking for data which wont exist if there is NOT SUPPOSED to be a name allocated to that cell in Col A.
    If I use that forumula you described I will end up with #name or #error values or I have to re write all of the other VLOOKUPS and thats a nightmare because you cant succesfully cut and past VLOOKUP as they rely on different sort data and col number to find the data they are after.
    Additionally I cant add a helper column to the right of my print data as all of my other calculations I need for splitting ties etc are there and they all have combination and absolute cell references combined along with some more VLOOKUP so they cant be moved so I have print data I need to sort - then absolute data (cant be moved) then my helper column that Id wish to sort by, so to select my sort area including the helper column I have to highlight the absolute data and when sort moves it it would screw up my calculations.

    Reading this back sounds like I've painted myself into a corner doesnt it !!

    Any help appreciated.

    cheers chappo

  4. #4
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    re: Function:Help With Sorting

    Why doesn't a custom sort list work? It should, how are you applying it?

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    re: Function:Help With Sorting

    I don't think you understand exactly what Roger suggested!

    You're *not changing* anything in Column A.

    You're adding a (helper) column, in an out-of-the-way location, but still
    contiguous to the data, which configures *itself* according to the data in
    Column A, and then using *that* 'helper' column as the sort key.

    Do you follow?

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

  6. #6

    HELP with sorting

    Thanks for the replies but still cant figure it out

    Nick HODGE - In answer to your question:
    I am trying to record a macro (im very basic with macros) and select the data, sort, first key order, change to custom list that I have added through tools, options, custom lists.

    I tried a custom list of just a to z but that didnt work and then I tried reversing the default sort order under help seach ie a to z and then all the other characters.

    NEITHER seems to work despite my efforts.

    I am trying to sort alphabetically but all the surnames come from other sheets and some will appear blank (depending on the number of competitors that I actually have ranging from 5 to 100) but these cells contain forumulaes.

    In answer to the other answer. If contiguous means that it must be attached to the data, ie my data goes from Col A to Col AT (which it does), I already have helper colums in AU to ZC inclusive ( all these are if(isblank(xx),"**",vlookup etc.

    So I cant add a col at AT and I cant insert one at Col A as it will stuff up over 19,000 formulaes that I already have

    cheers
    chappo555.

  7. #7
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    re: Function:Help With Sorting

    To get a custom sort to work, you should rearrange your 100 names in to the
    order you want and then add that list to the custom sort. Then when you use
    the custom sort it will sort in the same order as your preset list

    e.g a list loaded as a custom one like so

    Nick Hodge
    Chip Pearson
    John Walkenbach
    Bob Phillips
    Gord Dibben

    would sort a list like this

    Nick Hodge
    Chip Pearson
    Gord Dibben
    Nick Hodge
    Bob Phillips
    John Walkenbach
    Bob Phillips

    Like this

    Nick Hodge
    Nick Hodge
    Chip Pearson
    John Walkenbach
    Bob Phillips
    Bob Phillips
    Gord Dibben

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

  8. #8
    Nick Hodge

  9. #9
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    re: Function:Help With Sorting

    Hi

    If you are at column ZC, then you must be using XP2007.
    Since that ends at column XFD, why can't you add a column at ZD?

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    re: Function:Help With Sorting

    If the OP's problem is that blanks sort to the top, I don't think that a
    custom list will help.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  11. #11
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    re: Function:Help With Sorting

    Debra

    I missed the blanks bit as it appeared originally that he just wanted his
    names sorted by last name. It is still confusing why he can't use a helper
    column also

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    re: Function:Help With Sorting

    Contiguous means it has to be part of the same table (no blank column or
    row separating it), but it doesn't have to be adjacent to the section
    with the data. It could be added to the far right of the table, in
    column ZD, as Roger suggested.