Excel "Web Query"

  1. #1
    Matt
    Guest

    Excel "Web Query"

    Hi there,

    I'm really hoping somebody can help me.....

    ......I've been using Excel(2003)'s "Web Query" for a while now but I've
    encountered a situation where the spreadsheets I've created only work
    on "some" machines and not others. All the machines in question are
    running XP os and Excel 2003sp2.

    Basically, the web queries are used to extract share prices.....I know,
    I know.....aren't pretty much ALL web queries used to do this :-)

    However, on certain machines, the "Refresh" of the web queries causes
    the data to disappear and the cells become blank.

    So, upon further investigation, it appears when you "Edit Web Query"
    the query has "lost" the ticks next to the table(s) that were selected.
    This only occurs on certain machines. Now, if you re-tick the table(s)
    the query will work as desired (but not on the other machines - there's
    two distinct sets of machines where the query will either work or not
    work, and if you edit the query these sets are reversed).

    I tried saving out an iqy file from each machine to see what the
    differences may be......and the only thing I can spot is that the line
    "Selection=" varies between the two sets of machines. For example, one
    set generates "Selection=24" and the other set generates "Selection=21"
    for exactly the same web query. I'm sure this is the root of the
    problem.....

    So, in short.....can anyone advise me as to how I can rectify this
    situation? Is there a specific dll that Excel calls for the Web Query
    functionality? Is it a machine-specific setting that could cause the
    web page to be parsed differently? Or.....??

    Any input or help is very gratefully received!

    Many thanks,
    Matt

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Excel "Web Query"

    I have seen this happen with different versions. Same version. Seems
    strange.
    Are all using the same options? Perhaps a macro to make all queries the
    same?
    You may need to have a macro to FIND a common point of reference.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: Excel "Web Query"

    Sorry for multi-posts....each time I posted I then found what appeared
    to be a more sensible place to post. My apologies.....

    Cheers for the reply.....

    Yep - deffo the same versions of Excel AND service packs, and even the
    same OS with identical updates.

    Currently, there are no macros present. My "hunch" is that either an
    obscure setting is different (within Excel, internet settings, or
    elsewhere??) or a dll that is called (by "Web Query" and/or "Edit web
    query"?) differs.....however, I cannot solve this at the moment,
    regardless of how much time I spend on it!!

    I kinda feel that the difference in iqy file output must be a pointer
    though.....

    Matt

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Excel "Web Query"

    I have had this problem in the past with customers programs where I had to
    write a macro to find a reliable source. If you want to privately send me
    the workbook and details I will take a look.