Limit character count in cell from left

  1. #1

    Limit character count in cell from left

    This may have already been answered, but I'm going to ask it anyway : )

    I work with the same spread sheet every day and I need to limit the character count in one of the date cells. The text come in as:

    200607120910
    and I need it to take off the hour and minute of the time stamp:
    20060712

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Limit character count in cell from left

    hi BMF,

    in an auxiliar column use =left(a1,8)

    hth
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    the functions left mid right and len should allow you to do what you want

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Limit character count in cell from left

    "BMF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > This may have already been answered, but I'm going to ask it anyway : )
    >
    > I work with the same spread sheet every day and I need to limit the
    > character count in one of the date cells. The text come in as:
    >
    > 200607120910
    > and I need it to take off the hour and minute of the time stamp:
    > 20060712

    =LEFT(A1,8) or =INT(A1/10000)
    --
    David Biddulph

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Limit character count in cell from left

    To do it without using another column, just highlight the column, then do
    Data > TextToColumns > FixedWidth > Next > and set the column break line
    where you want it > Next > click on the top of the column with the unwanted
    characters and then check the button DoNotImportColumn(Skip) > Finish

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  6. #6