How do I protect individual cells in Excel and not whole sheet?

  1. #1
    Angus
    Guest

    How do I protect individual cells in Excel and not whole sheet?

    I need to protect individual cells on an Excel worksheet but not the whole
    sheet. How can I do this?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I protect individual cells in Excel and not whole sheet?

    "Angus" wrote:
    > I need to protect individual cells on an Excel worksheet but not the whole
    > sheet. How can I do this?

    Try this sequence:

    Press Ctrl + A to select the entire sheet
    Click Format > Cells > Protection tab
    Uncheck "Locked"
    Click OK

    (By default all cells are set to locked)

    Then hold down CTRL & select the cells you want to protect
    Click Format > Cells > Protection tab
    Check "Locked"
    Click OK

    Now, after you effect sheet protection via:
    Clicking Tools > Protect > Protect Sheet > passwrd? (optional) > OK
    the selected cells would be the only souls protected

    Test it out ..
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: How do I protect individual cells in Excel and not whole sheet?

    Format>Cell>Protection: uncheck "Locked"

    AP

    [email protected]...

  4. #4
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: How do I protect individual cells in Excel and not whole sheet?

    You need to lock the cells you want to protect and leave the other cells
    unlocked then protect the sheet. To do this either use the 'padlock' button
    on your toolbar or select the cells you want locked and then format cells and
    from the protection tab check the 'locked' box. - Make sure all other cells
    are unlocked. Then select tools protection and protect the sheet.