efficiency: database functions vs. math functions vs. array formula

  1. #1
    nickname
    Guest

    efficiency: database functions vs. math functions vs. array formula

    I can accomplish the same task using a database function (i.e. dsum), a
    math function (i.e. sumif), and an array formula. If my goal is to
    make the spreadsheet run as efficiently (fast) as possible, which
    should I choose? Let's assume this is a very large set of data, and if
    pertinent, the equation will be used frequently.

    Also, I've heard array formulas in large volumes can slow down a
    spreadsheet considerably. Why is this the case? What is the best
    source for finding out information like this?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    nickname
    Guest

    Re: efficiency: database functions vs. math functions vs. array formula

    On a related note, how do the three data retrieval options compare:
    VLOOKUP with MATCH, DGET, and INDEX?

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: efficiency: database functions vs. math functions vs. array formula

    >What is the best source for finding out information like this?

    http://www.decisionmodels.com/

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...