linking 2 worksheets together...

  1. #1
    spunkyjon
    Guest

    linking 2 worksheets together...

    Hello all,

    The data i have is spread over two sheets. One sheet has the parts data
    and the other the componet part data, essentially i would like to link
    these two sheets so that when i look at a particular part i then see
    each component part that belongs to it and all the corresponding data.
    I was hoping for a dropdown menu or somekind of link. The data doesn't
    need to be modified, simply viewed.

    I'm not sure if i have explained this particularily well. I have
    average excel knowledge, but no VBS skills whatsoever...

    I hope someone can help.

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: linking 2 worksheets together...

    What do you mean by "so that when i look at a particular part". What are
    you doing when you "look" at a part?
    Also, what do you want to happen when you say "i then see each component
    part that belongs to it and all the corresponding data." Where do you want
    this to be so you can "see" it?
    Provide a detail explanation of what you have, what you want to do, and what
    you want to happen when you do it. Remember that you are the only one in
    this newsgroup who knows what you are talking about. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    spunkyjon

    Otto Moehrbach wrote:
    > What do you mean by "so that when i look at a particular part". What are
    > you doing when you "look" at a part?

    Ok when i said part i don't mean a particular part of the sheet, i mean
    a part such as a desk or a chair, etc. Each 'part' is given a part
    number and various details are put into the worksheet, including
    weight, size, description etc.

    I then have another sheet where the 'componant parts' and similar
    details are listed, for example a desk may be made up of 16 different
    'componant parts'. Each 'componant part' is then listed in this second
    sheet. Each 'component part' has a number referring to the 'part' it
    belongs too, for example 'A123' and a unique 'componant part' number
    '1234'.

    So for example i know that the number D345-4326 is the back of an
    excecutive chair.

    The way the data is currently arranged takes some time to navigate.
    There is alot of data, approx 3000 lines and 16 columns in 'parts' and
    8000 lines and 11 columns in 'componant parts'. I guess my question
    was; Is their any way to combine this data in some way so that the two
    data sets are easier to navigate. I would like them both on one sheet
    or with a link between them so that for example when i want to look at
    the 'componant parts' of part A235 I don't have to switch between
    sheets and use seperate filters.

    One problem i face is that the data is similar in the two worksheets
    but not the same. So i don't have the same headings for the columns in
    both worksheets.

    I hope this has clarified the situation.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Prop
    Guest

    Re: linking 2 worksheets together...

    Hi it seems to me that you are using the wrong program for this, unless
    you have a particular reason for using excel I would suggest you look
    at Access as this is the type of thing is that it is designed for. Your
    data from excel coul easily be imported and two linked tables created,
    and then a form used to look at the related items.

    Hope this helps

    Paul

  5. #5
    spunkyjon
    Guest

    Re: linking 2 worksheets together...

    Thanks, but the problem is it has to be in excel. I thought that it would e
    easier to do it in Access...

    Can any of you guys can think of a way to solve this problem in excel?

    Thanks again

    Jon

  6. #6
    NickH
    Guest

    Re: linking 2 worksheets together...

    Hi spunky (or is it Jon?),

    I see no reason why this would be easier in Access. You still need a
    common link/key between between the two data lists. As Prop says, in
    Access you would reference two tables via a form - in Excel there is no
    reason why you can't do the same thing either with a form or a third
    sheet.

    Like I say, the only hurdle you need to get over is the common link or
    key that ties the two sets of data together. If you send me your
    workbook, with an explanation of how scalable it needs to be, I'll be
    happy to take a look at it and suggest a solution.

    Kind regards,
    NickH