How to automate this task

  1. #1

    How to automate this task

    This task arises with historical stock prices - when a stock has had
    splits.

    We have columns A,B,C,D and E.

    For each row in columns A,B,C and D, we want replace the old value in
    that row by

    New Value = Old value times (Value in column E /value in column D)

    This would effectively replace Column D by Column E and scale colums A
    B and C.

    How can this task be automated (I assume it would need a macro) ?

    Thansk for any help.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Sydney, Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    2013 64bit
    Posts
    1,394
    Yes you need a macro if you want to fully automate it and replace the old data. however it seems that column E is used for the new info, so maybe you could just set a formula that checks if there is a value in column E, and if so, then use that data rather than the original data.

    ie =if(E1="",original calculation,revised calculation)

    Matt

  3. #3

    Re: How to automate this task

    Mallycat wrote:
    > Yes you need a macro if you want to fully automate it and replace the
    > old data. however it seems that column E is used for the new info, so
    > maybe you could just set a formula that checks if there is a value in
    > column E, and if so, then use that data rather than the original data.
    >
    > ie =if(E1="",original calculation,revised calculation)
    >
    > Matt

    yes; actually I thought of that - there is a "circular reference"
    problem -

    if in cell A1, I write "' = A1*E1/D1" excel doesn't like that. Is
    there a way to get around that ?

    Thanks.