How to auto populate an invoice from data in an existing worksheet

  1. #1
    juliebythesea
    Guest

    How to auto populate an invoice from data in an existing worksheet

    Excel 2003...Is it possible to create an invoice that can be linked to a
    worksheet whereby selecting a record in the worksheet then activating a
    custom command (macro maybe) the invoice will be populated with the data from
    the record? I'm thinking along the lines of a Word mail merge type function
    but the invoice must have formulas in it.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Yes,

    Create your invoice page in say sheet 1.

    Then if your data is in sheet 2 and row 1 use the indirect function e.g

    =INDIRECT("SHEET2!A"&A1)

    A1 is the line in sheet 2 you want to invoice "SHEET2!A" is the sheet name you want to indirectly look up and the A is the colun you want to look up

    Also you would have a contact sheet which you would look at the customer address with a indirect vlookup.

    The trick is to have a control box for the

    Name of company or person to lookup
    Name of Sheet (If referencing more than one).
    Row Number

    I've attached the link which might help on the indirect front.

    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip015.htm

    VBA noob

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Hi again,

    I did this simple sheet to give you a clearer idea

    http://cjoint.com/?hoix2CYurg

    VBA noob

  4. #4
    juliebythesea
    Guest

    Re: How to auto populate an invoice from data in an existing works

    Thank you. I've never used the control box, but I looked it up and looks like
    it will do the trick. Question: Won't this become cumbersome with a large
    customer list (say 50 to 100)? I've used data validation lists which the
    control box seems similar to. What is the difference?

    juliebythesea

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    The vlookup is very quick even with around 300 plus customers.

    Sorry when I refered to the control box I just meant the data you need to drive the invoice.

    I agree the use of data validation list is a good idea for Customer names etc

    The Sales tab could be by month and it will still be quick. I added a marco to mine to send the invoice if there was a valid e-mail address which saves time.

    VBA Noob

    Quote Originally Posted by juliebythesea