File/custom Property fields

  1. #1
    KC
    Guest

    File/custom Property fields

    Hi There,
    Now I know how to create these File/Custom property fields, but I don't know
    how to make you of them in the worksheet!
    in simple, How to insert the File/custom property fields into excel cells?

    Thanks,
    -KC

  2. #2
    KC
    Guest

    RE: File/custom Property fields

    sorry there was a typo,

    Hi There,
    Now I know how to create these File/Custom property fields, but I don't know
    how to make *use of them in the worksheet!

  3. #3
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: File/custom Property fields

    Function CustomProperty(sProp As String) As Variant
    CustomProperty = ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties(sProp)
    End Function

    AP

    [email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: File/custom Property fields

    Paste the Function I sent you into a standard Module.
    In your worksheet, enter:
    =CustomProperty("blah")

  5. #5
    Ardus Petus

  6. #6
    KC
    Guest

    Re: File/custom Property fields

    Thanks Ardus, it works, but now i have another problem; if i make any changes
    to the file properties the changes are not getting refreshed in the cells!

    thanks,
    -KC

  7. #7
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: File/custom Property fields

    Try:

    Function CustomProperty(sProp As String) As Variant
    Application.Volatile

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: File/custom Property fields

    Be aware that that will still require forcing a calculation for the cell to
    update.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    KC
    Guest

    Re: File/custom Property fields

    no luck, i've tried to save the and re-open the file, still i don't see the
    updated "file property" value getting refreshed, i would have to revisit the
    cell and refresh it manually

    Let me try to explain once again what i'm really searching for!

    * there are many places in Excel sheets where i user many common fields
    (client/author/filepath/release version/base version/baselined date/ect), now
    all i'm trying to achive is to store all these common things into custom/file
    properties, just like i do in MSWord, and go on referencing this custom/file
    properties.

    now with your approach i'm able to retrive my own defined custom properties,
    but if i make any changes to these fields, this value is not getting
    reflected no matter what i do, unless i revisit the cell and manually refresh
    it!

    hope you know what i'm trying to achive here.

    Thanks again,
    -KC

  10. #10
    KC
    Guest

    Re: File/custom Property fields

    Hello guys,
    I found the answer for my other part of my question.

    I'll will also need to make sure the spreadsheet is updated manually. To do
    this-
    Click on <Tools><Options><Calculations><Manual>
    OR <F9>

    Thanks again.
    -KC

  11. #11
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: File/custom Property fields

    Didn't I say that - Be aware that that will still require forcing a
    calculation for the cell to update.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...