Live Scrolling/Real-Time /Smooth Scrolling doesn't work for me in Excel, eve

  1. #1

    Live Scrolling/Real-Time /Smooth Scrolling doesn't work for me in Excel, eve

    The subject line really says it all, very unfortunately.

    I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a nice GeForce Go 6800, latest
    Dell-approved drivers (April 2006), plenty of horsepower; and of course
    I'm fully up-to-date in my Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro service
    packs,
    though now I'm actually using Office 2007 beta 2.

    Suddenly I'm having to use Excel every day, and usually with BIG sheets
    (often with hundreds of columns, tens of thousands of rows).

    In searching to see how to turn on smooth/live/real-time
    scrolling instead of the "helpful" stupid tooltip bubble with the row
    or column number/letter (that then only shows the rows you've scrolled
    to after releasing the scroll bar), I discovered that live scrolling
    was standard In Excel versions 2002 and higher. Indeed, there's no way
    to turn it off or on--it's just always on.

    Except for me, somehow. It doesn't work at all. More precisely, it's
    like Excel has turned off that feature (the scrolling still works, but
    horribly--as though one were using Excel 97, with the actual scrolling
    occuring only after one lets go of the bar, so one simply CANNOT scan a
    spreadsheet without going single page by single page).

    Can any expert out there suggest any settings, registry patches, or
    other fixes?

    I asked this question a few months ago (before I got Office 2007) and
    no one replied--I hope someone has some ideas this time. This is
    incredibly annoying and really hurts productivity with Excel.

    Thanks.

    John

  2. #2

    Re: Live Scrolling/Real-Time /Smooth Scrolling doesn't work for me in Excel, even 2007 beta

    I should add that LiveScrolling works fine in, e.g., Word 2007, etc.
    etc. Just Excel--as though it's been instructed to scroll as in the
    days of the ancients. Maddening.

    I also tried--hey, why not?--adding the LiveScrolling registry entry
    paralleling the one for Word, but that had no effect.
    (HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3635597876-4175364861-3286124910-1005\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options\\LiveScrolling
    = 1)

  3. #3

    Re: Live Scrolling/Real-Time /Smooth Scrolling doesn't work for me in Excel, even 2007 beta

    I also tried a Repair Reinstall after cleaning the registry using Vcom
    SystemSuite Pro 6 AND Norton SystemWorks--no difference.

    Suggestions?