Highlight repeat entries

  1. #1
    BER
    Guest

    Highlight repeat entries

    I have a huge spreadsheet where my secretary entries patient names and other
    important data I am wondering if she inputs a patient name on excel
    spreadsheet twice is there any way the sytem could notify me/her of this?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Highlight repeat entries

    "BER" wrote:
    > I have a huge spreadsheet where my secretary entries patient names and other
    > important data I am wondering if she inputs a patient name on excel
    > spreadsheet twice is there any way the system could notify me/her of this?

    One way is via Data Validation ..

    Assuming name inputs are going down col A ..

    Select col A
    Click Data > Validation
    Allow: Custom
    Formula: =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)<2
    Click OK

    Test it out ..
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    BER
    Guest

    Re: Highlight repeat entries

    Thanks Max that is great when entering new data it certainly works, now can
    you help me to check the entries already there to see if there are duplicates
    there already

  4. #4
    Max

    "BER" wrote:
    > Thanks Max that is great when entering new data it certainly works, now can
    > you help me to check the entries already there to see if there are duplicates
    > there already

    One way ..

    Assuming existing names running in A2 down,
    using an empty col to the right, say col E

    Put in E2:
    =IF(COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)>1,"Dup","")
    Copy down

    This will flag duplicate names within col A if any, with the text: Dup in
    col E

    Then you could do a data > filter > autofilter on col E,
    and select "Dup" from the autofilter droplist in E1
    to filter out all the duplicates for closer inspection ..

  5. #5
    BER
    Guest

    Re: Highlight repeat entries

    Thanks Max, you have sorted all my problems thank you.

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Highlight repeat entries