Dividing first & last names?

  1. #1
    Digital2k
    Guest

    Dividing first & last names?

    Is it possible to divide first and last names that have a space between them
    is one cell and put copy them to two separate cells?
    Thanks,
    Digital2k

  2. #2
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: Dividing first & last names?

    Hi Digital2k,

    Data>Text to Columns will do that admirably.

    HTH
    Martin

  3. #3
    Digital2k
    Guest

    Re: Dividing first & last names?

    Thank you Martin,
    but I'm not an expert. I'm not clear on what I'm supposed to do with this.
    The Full name is in column (A) I want the first name in column (B) and the
    last name in column (C).
    Where would I use Data>Text at?
    Digital2k

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Data > Text to columns will keep the first name in column A and move the second to column B.

    If you still want to retain the full name in column A then copy column A to column B, select column B and use Data menu > Text to columns option with space as delimiter.

    Alternatively, using formulas, in B1

    =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

    and in C1

    =REPLACE(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1),"")

  5. #5
    MartinW
    Guest

    Re: Dividing first & last names?

    Hi Digital2K,

    Highlight all of your names in column A.
    Goto Data>Text to Columns.
    In the first page of the wizard select delimited then click next.
    In the second page of the wizard check space (make sure all other
    options are unchecked.) then click next.
    In the third page in destination put $B$1 and click finish.

    These directions are for Excel 2000, if you have a different version
    the process may be a little different but the basics should be the same.

    HTH
    Martin

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Dividing first & last names?

    Select the column, go to Data>Text To Columns, click the delimited button,
    check space delimiter box, and Finish

    Bob Phillips

  7. #7
    Digital2k
    Guest

    Re: Dividing first & last names?

    Thank you to all!!
    Took awhile but I'm learning thanks to this great forum.

  8. #8
    Michael Bednarek
    Guest

    Re: Dividing first & last names?

    On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:48:34 -0400, "Digital2k" wrote in
    microsoft.public.excel:

    >Is it possible to divide first and last names that have a space between them
    >is one cell and put copy them to two separate cells?

    Define first and last name.

    Any simple solution will not produce the required results for other than
    the most simple cases. Consider: John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Jan de Beer,
    Sir Peter Ustinov, Marshall Bruce Mathers III.

  9. #9
    Digital2k
    Guest

    Re: Dividing first & last names?

    OK, What would be your solution is a case like your example?
    Digital2k

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Dividing first & last names?

    Michael is just giving an advisory notice that you may have to
    tweak the results. With programming one has more control and
    can write a bunch of exceptions and manually correct others. Something
    made more difficult if relying on Worksheet Formulas and/or
    starting over each time with a listing. Examples for three or
    four names is a bit rough considering that the OP said they
    start with first and last names meaning no titles and somebody
    presumably removed extraneous initials would leave only
    compound first names and compound last names as a problem.

    The obvious answer would be that CHAR(160) were included
    in compound names (including III and Jr, Sr), no titles are included,
    and CHAR(160) is treated same as space for sorting. But it
    also depends on who the list is intended for.

  11. #11
    Digital2k
    Guest

    Re: Dividing first & last names?