Need to total how many came from a particular group.

  1. #1

    Need to total how many came from a particular group.

    Hello,
    I need to work out the totals for groups, of only some of which apply.

    to explain.
    Columns C,D,E,F,G,H and I contain values of carers that care for people of a specific group. (entered as a numeric value)
    Columns K to Z contains values of which ethnic group the carers belong to. (Numeric values)

    I need to work out the totals of the columns C to I (type of carer), that's easy and done.

    From those totals, I need to work out how many of which came from columns L to Z (ethnic group), (column K is an excluded group from the 'of which' totals)
    I've so far been unable to work out how to get those totals and need assistance.

    Hope I've explained clearly enough to understand.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by AntiHero; 06-25-2006 at 03:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: Need to total how many came from a particular group.

    You may use SUMPRODUCT with the checkings you want to do. This is an
    example, to find careers in column C equal to "A" and ethnic groups in column
    M equal to 1:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(C1:C10="A"),--(M1:M10=1))
    You can use references instead of hard coded values, it can be tailored to
    fit your needs.

    Hope this helps,
    Miguel.

  3. #3
    Thanks for replying Miguel Zapico, However this hasn't solved my query. I've tried changinhg the formular slightly, but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I was changing was right. In all cases, this hasn't given me the result I was looking for.

    I think it was to do with my explanation of the problem I was trying to solve.

    I'll try to explain completely.
    I need to collect totals of particular types of carers, and then work out, out of how many in each group, came from ethnic groups.

    So Carers info is (Column C to I respectively), Data is interted into the rows, for 1 carers information (there can be 2 peoples data in the same row, if they come from the same family i.e. Father and Son), they can belong to more than 1 type of carer group but not all of them.
    So could have a value of 1(carer) in column C and E.

    In column T to AH, are the Ethnic group codes, of which a carer can only belong to one group.

    I need to get the total of carers in column C, and work out how many of them came from the total of columns T to AH.
    This total is not how many came from column T or W etc, but from the range of columns T to AH.
    Then get the total for column D, then E and so on.

    Again, I hope I've explained well enough.

    Thanks
    Anti

  4. #4
    BUMP!

    Sorry, but I'm still stuck on this problem. I can make a mock up and host somehow if it helps?
    Last edited by AntiHero; 07-17-2006 at 04:32 PM.