Excel won't stop highlighting

  1. #1
    Stauffer Guy
    Guest

    Excel won't stop highlighting

    For some unknown reason, Excel will suddenly stop me from doing whatever I am
    doing and will start highlighting cells around some cell. wherever I move my
    mouse, the cells get highlighted. Moving the Mouse back will unhighlight
    them, but won't let me get to a point where I can actually enter data or do
    anything else. This has to be something simple, but I don't know what it is.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    --
    Stauffer Guy

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Excel won't stop highlighting

    Stauffer Guy, try pressing the F8 key

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Excel won't stop highlighting

    If hitting the <F8> key *doesn't* solve your problem, you're experiencing an
    anomaly that's been around for several years.

    One action that sometimes corrects it is *depressing* the scroll wheel on
    your mouse several times.

    Check out this link:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

    At least you will now realize that you're not the only one experiencing this
    problem.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  4. #4
    Stauffer Guy
    Guest

    Re: Excel won't stop highlighting

    Thanks for the response. I unfortunately had to reboot before I got the
    response so it will have to wait until next time to see if that clears it up.
    Looking at what the F8 function does, my problem seems somewhat analogous
    except that, in my case, Excel acts more like it would if you clicked on a
    cell then held the left mouse button down while you move the mouse around.
    In my frustration, I banged on every key on the keyboard and never got it to
    clear up. I'm sure I would have hit the F8 in my rampage, but possibly not.
    I'll try it next time. Thanks for the idea!
    --
    Stauffer Guy