Format cell as military time

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    Format cell as military time

    I want to type in 0700 in a cell and press <tab> to go to the next cell and
    it will auto format it like 07:00 (military time). ex: type in 1400 and it
    display as 14:00, etc. In other words, I want to be lazy and not have to type
    the colon. How do I need to format the cell?
    Thanks... Mike

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Format cell as military time

    Note that US/NATO military times do not use colons.

    To do what you're asking, see

    http://cpearson.com/excel/datetimeentry.htm

  3. #3
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Format cell as military time

    JE,

    I appreciate the info but I am not familiar with how to set this up. Where
    do I need to paste that code in my worksheet to make it work?

    Thanks...
    Mike

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    If your goal is to be lazy, why not just format the cells to military time and then type in "1 pm", "6 am", "11 pm", etc. The output would be: 13:00, 6:00, 23:00.

    Personally typing 1 pm is faster than typing 1300 since your fingers toggle between numbers and letters.

    If you want to have 6:00 appear at 06:00 then instead of formatting to time, go to custom and enter hh:mm into the box.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Format cell as military time

    Maybe this will help

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Format cell as military time

    See

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Format cell as military time

    This works for smart as well as lazy people:

    http://tinyurl.com/r3ngw

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Format cell as military time

    Copy the second lot of code from Chip's site.

    Right-click on your sheet tab and "View Code"

    Paste into that sheet module.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  9. #9
    Gord Dibben

  10. #10
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Format cell as military time

    However, note that this will also implement the same AutoCorrect in Word
    and other Office apps, too.

  11. #11
    Gord Dibben

  12. #12
    JE McGimpsey

  13. #13
    Gord Dibben

  14. #14
    JE McGimpsey

  15. #15
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Format cell as military time

    True, but can't beat it for timecard entry on a Monday morning.

    The girls reverse it after they're done.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  16. #16
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Format cell as military time

    Thanks a million to all - this works perfect.
    Mike