can I save a file of multiple names to replace using excell 03

  1. #1
    Greg is working hard.
    Guest

    can I save a file of multiple names to replace using excell 03

    I have a list of approx 300 names that must be replaced with abbreviations in
    excell. I must do this every few days. Is there a way to save the multiple
    replacement values into a command so I can replace the same list in a single
    step?

    Thank You

  2. #2

    Re: can I save a file of multiple names to replace using excell 03

    I'd create another worksheet.

    Column A would hold the old words
    column B would hold the abbreviations

    Then have a macro that would loop through those cells to do mass changes.

    Something like:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim ListWks As Worksheet
    Dim WksToFix As Worksheet
    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim myRng As Range

    Set ListWks = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("sheet1")
    Set WksToFix = ActiveSheet

    With ListWks
    Set myRng = .Range("a2", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
    End With

    For Each myCell In myRng.Cells
    WksToFix.Cells.Replace what:=myCell.Value, _
    replacement:=myCell.Offset(0, 1).Value, _
    searchorder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=xlNo, _
    lookat:=xlWhole
    Next myCell

  3. #3

    Re: can I save a file of multiple names to replace using excell 03

    You could even put that worksheet with the list in another workbook. Just put
    the macro in that workbook, too.

    Then open that workbook when you need to do the work.

    Open your workbook to fix.
    Activated the sheet to fix.

    Alt-f8 to see the list of macros and run TestMe. (Rename that to something
    better, though.)